What's with temlate system?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Abbat

What's with temlate system?

Post by Abbat »

Well to me it be not absolutely clear siuation with new templating system.

So I've understood, that now we can't directly change templates from their root folder. It became clear to, when i tried to edit in my php editor new overall_header.html. I made some changes & prepared to look at result, having pressed ctrl+f5 to renew the page, but...i nothing changed,i have been surprised, at first i thought, that it was something like a mistake, so i decided to go on editing overall_header.html, but I did not receive any results of change of a file. After so time i've found out and have understood in administration section, section of temlating system. There i found out, something like the editor of templates. Why? Edit temlates directly from the admin section?, like in IBP?..., so are the only editable from the admin section? can we edit them, from theirs folder?.

I do not think this idea especially useful and necessary,as when it is necessary to edit much html files, and then upload them on a server in a root folder of temlates, on it there will leave much less time, than editing of temlates on one of admin's section, as as a matter of fact on have replaced ours php editors with illumination of syntax, a monotonous small window in which shows contents of files html.

sparkster

Re: What's with temlate system?

Post by sparkster »

Delete the contents of the /cache directory.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

For editing files setup local server and you won't need to upload anything: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=124" target="_blank

DoD

Post by DoD »

by default phpBB will cache all the template files to reduce server load. If you are editing the templates on the file system, simply turn off the cache. Once you are done, turn it back on.

You may not see it as convenient to have caching turned on from the start, but it is the best option for all users. It does dramatically speed up your board when turned on.

Editing via the admin panel will update the cache too, as phpBB know's its been updated. Via the file system, you have to tell it you have edited them, as such.

Abbat

Post by Abbat »

Thanks guys ;) Now it's clear ;)

Abbat

Post by Abbat »

I thought so...,that i understood, but there are one more question. Where in admin panel i can rul cashing options? I've found one option, that refreshes temlates, after theirs caching, but it doesn't work...

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

I'm wondering how much load would be added by actively checking if the file has been updated.

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

It isn't a huge amount as it would just be checking if the modified date of the template is newer than the cached file.
Images in sigs! please.

geocator

Post by geocator »

haravikk wrote:It isn't a huge amount as it would just be checking if the modified date of the template is newer than the cached file.
Except multiply that by 3 templates or more per page load x number of page loads. It could get very slugish very quickly. As much of a pain as it is when setting up the site, I think the click to refresh templates is the best way. Besides once you have it set up how much do you really change that often. Ohh and while setting it up just turn caching off.

DoD

Post by DoD »

Abbat, You will need to look under Load Settings