PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Techie-Micheal

Re: PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:
Micheal wrote:And I say once again, just because one isn't being paid for something doesn't mean they are not a professional.
That means what you will produce in your professional working time is a professional products, what you will produce outside your working time is not a professional products (as long as you doesn't contract for it). You are mixing your status and the status of the job you are producing : I think I have been very clear about this in my posts, I don't know why you are trying to mix the both.
Products? I'm not producing any products ... So according to your definition, any IT professional that does not produce something isn't really a professional? Hrm. Try convincing the masses of that one. ;)
(../..)And I highly recommend you stop this "oh please" crap. You are not in a position to be telling me anything.
Ok, that's stop the discussion with you, definitively. Using threats attempt and insults makes you really think you are acting as a moderator there ?
Threats and insults? I see no threats nor insults. And I think you should take a look at my rank. ;)

OCHB714

Post by OCHB714 »

Ptirhiik_ I don't understand...what are you trying to prove? What's your point? I have to say that you are dispaying a massive amount of ignorance. The point is is the developers work for free and spend a great deal of their time creating something that we all use, professional or not. So why are you complaining? Seems to me if anyone has any room for compaints it's the developers for putting up with people like you. You don't see them complaining now do you?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

The point is very simple : usage of the term "professional" has been perverted in this topic, also the mis-knowledge on other products and what to choose in which case : that is no more complicated than that. There is no attempt to prove anything, nor complain about the devs, but about some stupidities I have read along this thread. Professional doesn't qualify a quality, but a status : you get money for a job, this is a professional job. You don't get, it is not, whatever the quality is.

The second point was that before calling any code or product "crap", better is to figure if you are not on the wrong way. As long as a product fullfills its requirements, and the requirements fullfills the need, this is the convenient one. That's true for any product.

And the third was there are no point of comparaison within the professional use of one or another, while somes come with a support contract, and not phpBB. One side it is a very good thing, the other it closes some doors.

For all of this, talking about competition is a deep non-sense.

Do you get the point of a "massive amount of ignorance dispaying" guy like me ? Or should I go into a "massive explanation of all of this to a to short thinker - at least reader" guy like you seems to be ? Who's complaining, and who's insulting ? And before all, who doesn't read the topics from the start before getting on the reply button being so sure of what he didn't even figure ? Guess, it's a brain-game :)

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

And I reiterate once again, just because someone does not get paid for a "product" does not lower their status as a professional. I think that you are done with this topic.

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Take your time, I see phpBB looks to be catching up with features, and that what I want. Especally with my plans. If you guys get this script as good as VB, then phpBB will always be my forum script of choice! (or XMB, I like XMB a lot. XMB and phpBB both are nice :) ). So, don't rush this, keep up the good pace, whatever works best for you :) And I be awaiting!

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

usage of the term "professional" has been perverted in this topic
The usage of the term "professional" and the interpretation highly depends on the country you are living in. ;) Here in Germany we do not use this term very often...

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Acyd Burn wrote:The usage of the term "professional" and the interpretation highly depends on the country you are living in. ;) Here in Germany we do not use this term very often...
Acyd is quite right on this. Here in Belgium we don't speak english so the word professional would have to be interpreted first and this is where translation sometimes (usually) fails.

"Professional" to me means being paid for it (in a legal sense). Professional standard implies quality of the product. A "professional" can produce crap as much as a non-professional, but not being a professional doesn't not imply that the delivered product is below "professional standard".

About a year and a half ago the community in which I adminstrated a board started charging for functionalities and I was forced to look around for a free (or cheap) alternative (since my members are not the paying kind). I tried Zorum, vB, Phorum and I forgot which others but phpBB came way out ahead because of it's "professional level" (and the fact that it's much more open to personal adaptations than others) and it's support (which btw is better than that of many "professional" services.
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Shikes, pressed submit instead of preview and now I can't correct the typos. I guess this proves my typing (and/or english) is way below par (in a professional sense) :lol:
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Indeed, in the UK the term professional when applied to an occupation indicates that person receives their income from it. A profressional software developer is thus someone for whom their primary income comes from developing software (duh :D).

However, profressional when applied to a product or company means something quite different. I like to think that phpBB is developed in quite a "profressional" manner, and that phpBB itself is a "professional" company. This compares to other companies who IMHO have or do act in a somewhat "unprofressional" manner yet derive industry average incomes for their employees from it.

Darkmonkey

Post by Darkmonkey »

Well, i checked freesearch, and this is what i got; ;)
related to work that needs special training or education
And Im nearly sure the phpBB team are well educated in php :D
...they're watching you...