Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Roberdin

Re: Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Post by Roberdin »

I'm sorry, but I'm not too familiar with Linux, I'm used to Windows - full of security holes.
Rob

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

Something that would make 2.2 way more easier is having the option to work with either HTML or TPL style files.

I still say switching to HTML and leaving no option for TPL is a mistake just because it confuses newbes.

Will be a huge pain when dealing with file attributes.
Shaolin-Venoms.com
SV is retiring. New site will be ShaolinGate.com

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

Lord Illicious wrote:Something that would make 2.2 way more easier is having the option to work with either HTML or TPL style files.

I still say switching to HTML and leaving no option for TPL is a mistake just because it confuses newbes.

Will be a huge pain when dealing with file attributes.
They're the same format. The only difference is the file extension.

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

Not Radio wrote:
They're the same format. The only difference is the file extension.
I understand that but what im saying is that it will be much more difficult to apply file attributes to HTML files since they will be used for the template of 2.2.

I already have html files assigned to another program and will have to order back and fourth the attributes when i need them.

This is why TPL exists.
Template files for a template system.

Reason they made the switch from TPL to HTML is so the newbes wouldnt get confused.

I aint complaining as you can see the topic is what could make 2.2 better?.

Personally i think if a newbe gets confused between HTML and TPL then why change a whole forum's template extention handling to accomodate them?
Wouldnt it be simpler to explain its the same thing plus this way you can saparate your template file from your web HTML ones?

I never heard of any system switching from TPL to HTML where TPL has failed.

Of course this might die down many questions on the styles management support since it would be easier for the newbes and the 2.2 creators/supporters but then again it will make it more difficult for the rest to order their temple handling system.

I would really like to see in the 2.2 release an option for you to switch from TPL or HTML template handling.
It would make both worlds much more comfortable.
Shaolin-Venoms.com

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

Wait, what attributes? Do you mean file associations?

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

Sorry. Yes, thats what i meant.
Shaolin-Venoms.com

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

It's kind of asserted that if you're doing any template work, you would be using a text editor. It's what most professional designers use anyhow. It also saves stylers the issue of formatting tags being removed by WYSIWYG editors. You can always just open the file through the editors Open dialogue.

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

Well thats why i dont open template files in a editor. I mostly use a notepad or text editor.

Yea i can always use the open with dialogue thing for editing template files but what im saying is that it would have been much easier to assign your template and html to separate file associations.

Cant tell you how many mistakes ive made because of this but then again no big thing, just simply open with and that all.
Shaolin-Venoms.com

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

No, I mean opening the file from the application itself.