Some Question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DeadKid

Some Question

Post by DeadKid »

Ok I tried up CVS of the 2.2 and I must say its quite ok :)
Now Im interested in one little thing:
Templating?
Why the HTML files now?
I know it doesnt make a difference (except that html files can be read directly from the browser and tpl cannot) but will you leave the system intact. Also I saw this imagesets wich gave me excellent idea for a MOD im currently working on. The structure of the forums changed a bit and the coding itself also. that means a lot of work for us crazy MOD creators :)

Oh I remembered one more Q to ask you:
How many hours per week you put in phpBB (not just 2.2 but also previous versions)?

I put almost any spear hour I can get but thats me - a computeer geek who belives in The Great White Mouse™.
the word evil cannot even describe me....

liquid_eagle

Re: Some Question

Post by liquid_eagle »

I believe they switched to HTML for compatability with HTML editors...

SamG

Post by SamG »

DeadKid wrote:Now Im interested in one little thing:
Templating?
Why the HTML files now?
The chief reason is separation of HTML from the PHP source. This offers some advantages to the end user, one of which is the easier editing environment that liquid_eagle mentioned.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

I dont understand how HTML is an easier editing environment when you can simply assign the TPL extention to your favorite HTML editor.

If you dont know how to do this then how would you know on how to create or edit a template better?

How would one assign phpbb2 HTML files to an editor and the others not to one?

Nearly all my different files are assigned to their own program to handle.

HTML just doesnt feel righ for advanced coding like this.

Just my opinion.
Shaolin-Venoms.com
SV is retiring. New site will be ShaolinGate.com

DeadKid

Post by DeadKid »

Im also stuck on tpl editing. DreamWeaver supports it and guess what also supports it?
Notepad :)
Yes the almighty notepad™ is the besteditor around...
I use it to write cause there is no coloring and that s*** but when I finish I just check up the shape and search mistakes in DW.
But I dont care its just that I got really used to tpl files :)
Habbit is a powerfull force :)
the word evil cannot even describe me....

mercifull

Post by mercifull »

i think its a shame its not html files and not tpl. i likes just double clicking to edit it but not it loads in IE. grrr
i personally think it will make noobs think thay can modify stuff in any wysiwyg editor and it will run everything how they see it in the editor program.

SamG

Post by SamG »

I think some are missing part of the point of the template system.

It used to be that most software written for the Web mixed source code and output, willy nilly. To edit the output, you had to go through the source files, changing a bit here, a bit there. phpBB 1.x was like that, for example.

With a template system, the page may still be broken up into some sort of template file collection, but if the template file is made up mostly of HTML, then editing is far easier than having to piece together a page from multiple PHP (or Perl) source files.

The easiest way (in my opinion) to get the hang of doing major phpBB 2.0.x edits is to start out by saving the index page while viewing it. Also, determine which .tpl files make up that page (which helps with getting the bigger picture of how phpBB templates work; I started by putting HTML comments in the .tpl files, so I could tell which templates made up a page, and where one template stopped and the next started).

Now, go back to the saved page HTML and play away, to your heart's content, in the editor of your choice. Then, break up your new page back into its .tpl pieces.

That's what I meant when I was talking about an easier editing environment. phpBB separates the HTML from the PHP source files, and this is significantly easier from a editing point of view than having the HTML mixed in throughout the PHP source.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Lord Illicious

Post by Lord Illicious »

I dont think i follow you SamG

I understand what the template system is for as you explained but what i dont get is why the template system was changed from the TPL files to the HTML extensions.
Main reason ive read is that HTML templates are easier to handle/create/edit for the newbees.

Thats fine but my point is that if a newbe doesnt know how to assign specific program to handle TPL files then how would they know how to create or edit a phpbb2 template?

This makes it harder and more time consuming for the experienced users where their file extensions are already assigned to their specific programs.

Lets take a simple example:
Double Clicking on a tpl file may open it up in a notepad or HTML editor like Dreamweaver. That is it would open up in whatever action you assign it to.

Double Clicking on a HTML file would have the it open up in your browser, HTML quick slide viewer or whatever you assign it to. There wouldnt be a way to assign phpBB2 HTML template files to one program and the rest outside the template to another.
This only way would be the function (winxp) of right click and open with...

Not that bad but still a little annoying and can be confusing since all the HTML and Template HTML files open up the same way.

I would assume that most web designers and webmasters are now dealing with more other files extension and coding than the HTML or HTM extensions.
Years ago i use to have mostly HTML files to deal with but now its PHP, ASP, JS, DHTML, XML, CSS etc etc and they all are assigned their own programs to work with.

I have worked with a portal system that use the HTML file extension as its template system but totally gave up on it since so many mistakes, lost content and annoying errors were made dealing with it.

I think phpBB 2.2 will be the best forum avalable and i will have to just reorganize my filing system to accommodate this template system.

Not complaining but just concerned.
Shaolin-Venoms.com
SV is retiring. New site will be ShaolinGate.com

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

SamG wrote:
DeadKid wrote:Now Im interested in one little thing:
Templating?
Why the HTML files now?
The chief reason is separation of HTML from the PHP source. This offers some advantages to the end user, one of which is the easier editing environment that liquid_eagle mentioned.
I like the fact that they switched... having all that HTML code in the PHP source was messy!

DJ P@CkMaN

Post by DJ P@CkMaN »

Umm, they haven't had HTML mixed up with PHP code since phpBB 1.4, keep up will ya ;)
Cameron Daniel :: SmallNothings Admin, SitePoint Forums Mentor
SmallNothings - Love, Lust & Relationships
SitePoint Forums