[GSoC] Chat-like PMs interface :: discussion before coding starts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

[GSoC] Chat-like PMs interface :: discussion before coding starts

Post by Senky »

Hi guys,
as Derky proposed to me earlier, with this GSoC project, we are really going to change PM interface drastically. So he suggested we at least attempt a discussion before we start coding to decide on some functional removals/additions.

My student created this nice short document that describes functionality changes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gRf ... sp=sharing

If any of you got time to take a look, maybe we plan to do something that really shouldn't be done. You talk now or keep quiet forever. 8-)

david63

Re: [GSoC] Chat-like PMs interface :: discussion before coding starts

Post by david63 »

From a first brief look the first thing that strikes me is the use of the term "Chat based". Whist I appreciate the concept of the layout, which if I am not mistaken would be somewhat similar to that of MS Outlook (and other email clients), and is something that would be an improvement I feel that "Chat based" is an inappropriate term and will alienate many users.

There is, in my opinion, the need to retain custom folders. When managing a board this is an essential piece of housekeeping.

Whilst the "Print view" feature is not something that I use (to be honest I never knew it existed) I suspect that there are quite a lot of users who do make use of it.

The one thing that I would hope to see is a faster way of deleting PMs - the current system is laborious to say the least.

Also bear in mind that there may be some extensions that use events that are in the core code.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Derky
Development Team
Development Team

Post by Derky »

Yeah it's not meant like a chatbox or anything like that. I personally only use custom folders to bypass the message limits, could you give some examples as for what your users are using it?

Thanks for sharing this document Senky and Akbar Hashmi, it's looking good so far and I don't see any unexpected changes. It would be nice to get all remaining "subject to discussion" things cleared up during the GSoC bonding period. :)

3Di

Post by 3Di »

One option I would like to be finally implemented is a white/black list.

Synopsys:
The user don't want a specific user/group to PM him.

That's something needed, atm there is just the option: PM on/off generally speaking.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Would like to see a more detailed mock-up of the proposed changes to really way in as it’s somewhat difficult to understand everything. Specifically the visuals and UI which is where I am really concerned. Definitely mock it up before coding.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

^^ This.

Also, is there any plans to recode the PMs (UCP) before, like it should be for 3.3?
Not to mention also ACP/MCP, which actually are decoupled from the core code.

That would be a nice touch, as well for extension writers nonetheless.
So to get rid of really outdated code and for the sake of consistency.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

3Di wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm Also, is there any plans to recode the PMs (UCP) before, like it should be for 3.3?
Not to mention also ACP/MCP, which actually are decoupled from the core code.

That would be a nice touch, as well for extension writers nonetheless.
So to get rid of really outdated code and for the sake of consistency.
Not by this GSoC project. We will barely touch backend.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@3Di the ucp/mcp is on the dev todo list 👀 at nicofuma/Chita ?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Yup, I wanted to start working on it but I was told someone was working on the module system so didn't want to duplicate work. I will look into it again soonish.

david63

Post by david63 »

Derky wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 pm I personally only use custom folders to bypass the message limits, could you give some examples as for what your users are using it?
I don't what my users are using custom folders for, or even if they are using them, but I as Admin like to be able to "file" certain PMs for ease of future reference - things like reported PMs, long running discussions with certain members (usually troublemakers), Moderator discussions, PMs with useful information in them. On phpbb.com I like to file PMs relating to my extensions separately.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!