Support for Emojis

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
JoshyPHP

Re: Support for Emojis

Post by JoshyPHP »

Having consistent emoji is very expensive in development and maintenance. Here are some of the reasons.

First off, every operating system, device or browser has its own way to display emoji. It can be as a nice color image, a slightly less nice black-and-white image, or even not an image at all with a character such as �. On top of that, the exact representation of an emoji may differ from a user to another and alter its meaning. For instance, someone may think they are threatening to splash someone with a water gun without suspecting that the recipient will see it as a firearm, potentially turning a joke into a death threat.

That's why normalizing the representation of emoji is generally a good idea. That's on the presentation side, where replacing text with images isn't very difficult. On the input side, things get harder.

Textareas cannot contain images so emoji will be rendered via the native font renderer. It causes the same water gun/firearm inconsistency but at least the only person it affects is the poster, which IMO is the lesser of two evils.

One way to display emoji in a textarea is to use a special font file. Unfortunately, there is no color font file format with widespread support. Color font files are also pretty big, several megabytes and they'll keep growing as more and more emoji are being added to the standard.

Another way to make emoji consistent on the input side is to use a rich text editor which, unlike textarea, accepts images in its content. The issue is that RTEs come with their own inconsistencies. A number of styles and extensions would need to be reworked to be compatible with a RTE.

In summary, getting emoji to work consistently across devices is complicated and labor intensive.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

At the end of all, what to do? If the admin disables the smilies then also the emojis are disabled.

About the CDN, is not bloated by trackers, apparently. At least Ghostery and UBlock Origin do reveal nothing.

It seems to me too much a do for really no value, here... thoughts?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

I think that with the right event turning off emoji plugin is possible, but is it needed i don't know. I agree & only thing that is still up & floating is license question.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

On the topic of emoji, I noticed today that GitHub have recently replaced their emoji with Noto's. GitHub's PNG is on the left, Noto's SVG on the right:

Image Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

martti

Post by martti »

I got reply from EmojiOne:
Hi Martti,

I appreciate your patience on this response. I've talked with my team and we've decided this is a case where adding attribution in the footer would satisfy the attribution requirement. I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Lisa
EmojiOne | JoyPixels

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Let someone then open a ticket about it. So that someone else can take care of it. Yes I know, sounds like rounding in circles, but... :)

martti

Post by martti »

3Di wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:24 am Let someone then open a ticket about it. So that someone else can take care of it. Yes I know, sounds like rounding in circles, but... :)
I've created a ticket.

martti

Post by martti »

Here is a related discussion on the nodeBB community forum on using a public CDN.
The point the OP is making:
  • Users being tracked.
  • Being dependant on external service.
  • Might be slower due to extra DNS lookups.
Other users in the thread report that some public DNS services are slow in some parts of the world.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

I guess we could just replace EmojiOne with twemoji or Noto. I think we can just overwrite the template for the textformater's Emoji plugin, and pull in the twemoji SVGs or PNGs instead, I assume that would be a quick fix (and it is CC-BY 4.0). Not sure what we would need to do for Noto.

For serving emojis from your webserver I guess you should create an extension. It shouldn't be too difficult.