2. Why is a framework so usefull?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: 2. Why is a framework so usefull?

Post by hanakin »

@3Di

yes and no.

true OO it not feasible with something that requires customization at the user level, meaning that we can not really use too many objects. Reference the first post where I explain the difference between patterns/singletons.

Patterns are not really feasible which is the true power of OO, one pattern such as a media pattern can have drastic code reduction and improvements. Singletons(my own term) we will be using. Think of them as small building blocks that our components use. Some refer to theses as components and use the term modules to refer to what ITCSS refers to as components. Either way its the same thing just a better more accurate wrapper as everything is technically a module. every individual file is a module by definition based on JS terms.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Just a quick update for those interested.

I have built some documentation into the framework now http://hanakin.github.io/base-l/. It is still not fully complete but it does go into a lot of the detail related to the coding standards.

We will be using the same coding standards for phpbb starting with version 3.3 as well. I am working on porting over the documentation from here to the phpbb docs but it takes a little time to convert everything from markdown to RST and get it reviewed and merged.

I have alos put together several core components to play with and test

Action Bar (Object): https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/dRoZzO
Topic Row (Component): https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/dNVWmm
Forum (Component): https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/jybzBY

WIP:

Post (Component): https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/jmPOwL

Meis2M Online

Post by Meis2M »

i like it , it is standard and good ...

a question:

you are use bootsrap or new framework ?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

New framework! Bootstrap is not a framework it is a ui library although v4 is starting to add in some framework aspects but not very cleanly. The framework is just the separation and organization of files coupled with the coding standards and guidelines. You can easily port over bootstrap components with little to no nessecary changes.

Meis2M Online

Post by Meis2M »

with your point .. if you retired one day we have no problem :D
because i thought about when this day arrive

Melmac

Post by Melmac »

The concept (or: approach) in itself sounds logic and interesting, 'though it will take some time to dig deeper into it to become familiar with all the "whys" and "hows" behind it.

The one thing I am still curious about is: what about the impact this has when it comes to users trying to modify an existing style to their personal needs or likes?

SASS requires a pre-processor to compile the stylesheets - no problem with this in general, but maybe in detail?
As I could see you include partials over multible "intermediate" levels. As long as your "pre-processor of choice" can handle this, this, imho, seems to be the most transparent and therefore appropriate way to handle this part of the concept - from phpBB's and a style developer's point of view.

But what about those users mentioned above? According to my personal experience it is hard enough to make them feel comfortable with having to use such a pre-processor only to "simply change a few colours", even if it were a more simplistic one. Most of those users tend to rely on "fire and forget" utilities: "install them, run them (= click on a single button), done..." and no in detail fiddling with configuration options.
PPs like Prepros can do the job more or less out-of-the-box, others like Koala, would need some configuration work first - something the "average user" will be hard to convince of, either for lack of knowledge on their side or, most often, lack of interest.

How would this issue be approached in your concept?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

there is a plan for a hosted live styleguide editor to answer all these concerns you would essentially select the component you want to change make the changes to the available variable settings or make changes to the code itself. Then you simply save it as a new custom personalized theme. Its all fully dynamic and allows for the creation of new custom components as well for the more advanced individuals. They would still need to make some changes to the overall layout possibly in this case after download, but it's also available for those so inclined as a dependency in the dev repo for them to install locally. This will provide an interface for novice users, authors, and developers for the project

Melmac

Post by Melmac »

hanakin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am there is a plan for a hosted live styleguide editor
Is this to be interpreted the way that you will (largely?) depend on this hosted "tool" for changes to be made?
hanakin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am This will provide an interface for novice users, authors, and developers for the project
Reflecting the wide span of knowledge, skills etc. among those differing targeted groups this will then, most likely, have to cover?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

it will be something you will want to use regardless of your skill level. I am not going to beat around the bush Its a large undertaking in and of itself, and it will require a lot of logistics to get it done but once it's built the benefit will be vastly far-reaching.

it's essentially a repurposing of a live edit rapid prototyping styleguide

similer to things like http://styleguide.devbproto.com/styleguide/#4 or http://atomicdocs.io/ to list a few