PHPBB3-15137 - Global Announcements shouldn't always be never ending

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
P_I
Community Team
Community Team

PHPBB3-15137 - Global Announcements shouldn't always be never ending

Post by P_I »

SInce a topic type of Global is essentially a board wide Announcement, is there any reason the poster shouldn't be allowed to specify a non-zero number of days to stick the topic? That would make it consistent with how topic types of Sticky and Announcement work.

As it stands now in phpBB 3.2.0 and 3.1.10, a Global Announcement is always never ending and there is no warning or error message if a non-zero number of days have been entered, that input is always ignored.

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Re: PHPBB3-15137 - Global Announcements shouldn't always be never ending

Post by P_I »

TL;RL Newbie still learning phpBB development process, how to handle merge conflict.

The gory details, that are probably old hat to most of you.

As I learn more about the phpBB development process, using phpBB Development Documentation as a guide, I continue to also learn some of the nuances. Today is it about merging.

In this specific case, the bug exists in both phpBB 3.1.10 and phpBB 3.2.0. From my read of Bug fixing, the convention is to fix first on the 3.1.x branch, which is what I've done and created a pull request on the 3.1.x branch. Done. At some point, the PR gets merged into the 3.2.x branch. Small problem, there is a merge conflict.

So here's my learning opportunity, the code change in includes/functions_posting.php has a merge conflict when applying it to the 3.2.x branch because of a variable name change that occurred between 3.1.x and 3.2.x. The resolution is trivial.

From the PR conversation,
me wrote:Who takes care of the merge conflict resolution, the fixer or the merger?
nicofuma wrote:it depends, but in this case I did and I missed it. But it's not a big deal, just send a new PR against 3.2 fixing the issue (if you don't I will do it later). You can reuse the same ticket number.
I'm eager, want to learn and want to help out, particularly since it's a trivial fix. But ...

Before I attempt the new PR, I just wanted to double-check the process as this is still fairly new to me and I don't want to screw it up.

I think I do the following:

Code: Select all

git checkout 3.2.x
git branch ticket/15137
git checkout ticket/15137
# make changes to includes/function_posting.php
git add <files>
git commit
git push origin ticket/15137
Correct so far?

If so, what are the steps to create a PR to have this merged into phpbb:3.2.x?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: PHPBB3-15137 - Global Announcements shouldn't always be never ending

Post by hanakin »

in github go to your repo on the ticket branch click create PR. Then in the screen it provides there is a dropdown to select what branch you want to merge against. Change it to phpbb:3.2.x

https://help.github.com/articles/creati ... l-request/
https://help.github.com/articles/creati ... om-a-fork/
Donations welcome via Paypal Image