[RFC] New Search Feature For Private Messages

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
keith10456

[RFC] New Search Feature For Private Messages

Post by keith10456 »

DESCRIPTION:
Add a new Search feature/box to the Private Messages section of the UCP. The Search box will allow members to search the text of their PM's.

ADVANTAGES INCLUDE:
  • Allow members to easily locate important messages.
  • Help members efficiently organize their messages by having the option to select/move/delete multiple messages at once.
  • Saves server space since members will be able to mass delete messages (now that they can easily locate similar messages).

DISPLAY:
A quick Search box could be displayed below the "New PM" button (that's visible upon clicking the "0 new messages" link). Having the Search box here would be a great convenience location.

The main Search link (Search messages) can be above the "Rules, folders and settings" link (which is currently on the left-hand-side of the screen). Upon clicking the link members will be taken to the advanced PM Search screen.

Options:
The advanced Search screen could be similar to the advanced Search of the Forum.

Search Query - The top/main Field will obviously be "Search for keywords".

Search Query - The next option can be to Search "Received Messages" or "Sent Messages"

Search Query - There should be an option to "Search for Author"

Search Options - This will be similar to the way the advanced Search is for the Boards except instead of "Search in forums", the options will include any/all of the Folders that the respective member created.

Search Options - A "Search Within" option to search "Message subjects and message text" (which would be the default), "Message text only" or "Message subjects only"

Search Results:
Search results should include the "Mark" check box (which is currently located to the left of all PM's) - to allow the ability to select multiple messages at once for an action (similar to how PM's are currently displayed). Likewise, the "Action" drop-down-menu should be below the search results (similar to how it's currently displayed below the messages). The current Action arguments can also be duplicated.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] New Search Feature For Private Messages

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Would a purely "LIKE" based search be appropriate here?

What limits do you (plural) have set for your users for private messages? If its a relatively small number, it would be quite reasonable to say that no search index is needed, only a search query and interface. If its into the thousands, we'd need to take a look at an index.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Would a purely "LIKE" based search be appropriate here?

What limits do you (plural) have set for your users for private messages? If its a relatively small number, it would be quite reasonable to say that no search index is needed, only a search query and interface. If its into the thousands, we'd need to take a look at an index.
Mine is set to 500 PMs per Folder with a maximum of 4 folders... I suspect I'm not the only webmaster that increased the PM settings.

However, I do appreciate the idea of a simpler Search screen. That being said, maybe all of the Options I listed may not be necessary in an effort to achieve "ease of use". But an index may be appropriate.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I have over 2000 on my board :P

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I just checked the PM section on this board and I realized that searching PM's didn't make it to 3.1. Is this somewhere on the agenda for 3.2? I hope so... Even if it's not something to the extent as listed in the above RFC... A basic search would suffice I think.

spello

Post by spello »

It would be great if we could search of private messages in phpBB 3.1. Don't you think so?

Leinad4Mind

Post by Leinad4Mind »

Yup, this should be in the core of phpBB. It's vital so we can search over many Private messages. On 3.0 I used a mod, now on 3.1 an extension. But this is something that should be in the core of 3.1 or 3.2 atleast.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

we actually need to completely overhaul the entire search feature anyway for the new theme so +1 to this maybe just being part of that...
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Completely agree that this should be in the core of phpBB.