Upgrading ACP's core code.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Upgrading ACP's core code.

Post by Marc »

All *CPs (ACP, MCP, UCP) use the same basic module system. As part of refactoring those CPs we'll probably also have to start on refactoring the module system that enables them currently. We definitely have to separate the contents of the actual modules and the module system that runs those modules in regards to refactoring things.

For me a basic module system needs to be:
  • Simple & easy to use
  • Automatically load the necessary modules
In addition to that we also need to have a way of handling the permissions in regards to what user is allowed to access each and every module.

The question of where to store the order, permissions, etc. should be rather easy to solve (database IMHO). Right now we also retrieve those permissions from the info files, which also cause a bit of confusion and have caused issues in the past. I think the goal would definitely be to get rid of these.
Another question that came to me is whether one should be able to modify the order of modules from the ACP as it's currently possible. That is IMHO one of the least used features. It might be better to only allow users to add modules after/before fixed, pre-existing modules.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Marc wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:33 am All *CPs (ACP, MCP, UCP) use the same basic module system. As part of refactoring those CPs we'll probably also have to start on refactoring the module system that enables them currently. We definitely have to separate the contents of the actual modules and the module system that runs those modules in regards to refactoring things.

For me a basic module system needs to be:
  • Simple & easy to use
  • Automatically load the necessary modules
In addition to that we also need to have a way of handling the permissions in regards to what user is allowed to access each and every module.

The question of where to store the order, permissions, etc. should be rather easy to solve (database IMHO). Right now we also retrieve those permissions from the info files, which also cause a bit of confusion and have caused issues in the past. I think the goal would definitely be to get rid of these.
Another question that came to me is whether one should be able to modify the order of modules from the ACP as it's currently possible. That is IMHO one of the least used features. It might be better to only allow users to add modules after/before fixed, pre-existing modules.
I am reading you after a long night of work and before to going to have a rest, and yes...
I agree with you right now.

On a side note: at those times (phpBB2) we were used to be used to reserve magic numbers devoted to constants for every author, I know it is not a sort of thing that can be used now a days with this coding.. but an idea to expand maybe.

I will be on this nextly.
regards.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

3Di wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:03 am Well, this bit about multiple major releases it's something discouraging.
It is, however as I said earlier, as an extension author you shouldn't really worry about that part, as you would have the new *CP framework, which would allow you to write your extension's *CP parts in the new framework. Also, until we cannot move everything to the new system a BC break is way less likely, so i guess that's a plus for extension authors as well.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

CHItA wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am
3Di wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:03 am Well, this bit about multiple major releases it's something discouraging.
It is, however as I said earlier, as an extension author you shouldn't really worry about that part, as you would have the new *CP framework, which would allow you to write your extension's *CP parts in the new framework. Also, until we cannot move everything to the new system a BC break is way less likely, so i guess that's a plus for extension authors as well.
Here I do have to disagree. The refactoring/re-coding of the *CPs benefits first of all phpBB itself...
this topic touches both sides: phpBB and extension writers (so to say, at the end of all: phpBB itself). ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

3Di wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 am Here I do have to disagree. The refactoring/re-coding of the *CPs benefits first of all phpBB itself...
this topic touches both sides: phpBB and extension writers (so to say, at the end of all: phpBB itself). ;)
I'm not sure on exactly what we're disagreeing on, I guess it is not really important anyway, so the bottom line I guess is that rewriting the *CPs is useful, it is also not really the goal to make it happen throughout multiple major releases, it is just my personal timeline estimation.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 am
CHItA wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am It is, however as I said earlier, as an extension author you shouldn't really worry about that part, as you would have the new *CP framework, which would allow you to write your extension's *CP parts in the new framework. Also, until we cannot move everything to the new system a BC break is way less likely, so i guess that's a plus for extension authors as well.
Here I do have to disagree. The refactoring/re-coding of the *CPs benefits first of all phpBB itself...
I have to echo CHItA's comments on this. To state that extension authors will benefit is reaching quite a bit. I don't think extension authors will benefit much from this, except where they would have to code new modules since they'd follow the new module standard at that point. In fact I think the exact opposite effect will be the case, at least initially, since they would have to rewrite all of their *CP components. I think that spreading this out across releases might even be the right way to go: MCP first, then UCP, then ACP which would be where the most number of extensions will be affected. That's just my opinion however and might not even be ideal tbh.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

partially Agree with david for the front-end effects to themeing from this. MCP and UCP should probably happen in 3.3 with acp holding off as those are fairly closer related and more impact full to a cleaner and better front-end as well. But splitting them up none the less however it ends up
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

neufke

Post by neufke »

I was still @3Di's initial question as for the future of the rewriting of the ACP part of phpbb.

The thing my clients like about other packages (e.g. wordpress or joomla) is the "interactiveness" of their admin panel. The client gets the idea that the ACP sends messages of new updates and new extensions, latest news etc. and does that in quite a nice and clear way.

Phpbb on the other hand just states that the version is outdated, gives an url to a board with, yes, information that most of them just lack the knowledge to understand let alone download or choose which version to download and FTP etc....

So, after (maybe OVER-) thinking about the initial question for a day... i guess i would like to see a more... friendly interactive ACP...

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

That is irrelevant to this topic really. That can be done at any point by adding a few informational items to the main ACP page. This is about rewriting the underlying structure of all CP areas.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

^ this ^