Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

Ger

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by Ger »

riteshosscube wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:16 am Microsoft has killed support for those older browsers as of January 12. Your alternatives include upgrading to IE 11, switching to a rival browser or jumping to Windows 10 to get the Edge browser.
Or install Windows Vista, since IE9 on Windows Vista is still supported (as that is the highest available version for Vista).
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

hanakin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 am area51 is used as the main testing ground it is always on the current version weather that be a release or just the current progress in the repo.
Thank you hanakin :)

You guys have excellent older browser support...... I think your SW and Xenforo are 2 of the newer ones that show up the best on IE6 :) (Im using MyIE2 in front but MyIE2 is only an IE add-on)

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

dude111 wrote: Sun May 08, 2016 9:21 am (Im using MyIE2 in front but MyIE2 is only an IE add-on)
I'm vegan. And I crossfit.

afifaadam

Post by afifaadam »

IE8 should be voted from my side

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

can someone pls move this to the styles forum since apparently I can only view logs
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

hanakin wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 pm can someone pls move this to the styles forum since apparently I can only view logs
It says you are a moderator on all forums https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/memberlist.php?mode=team

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

yes but different forums can have different permissions set even though I am a mod. You can have one mod level permission on a forum and it will list you as a mod on that forum.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Done.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

bump on this discussion as its been awhile and edge is picking up traction not to mention IE11. So where does that leave us?

I would vote for removing support for IE9 & IE10 thoughts?

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

Any new style should aim at supporting only supported versions. The average lifetime of a style should nowadays be longer than that of a browser version. Therefore I'm all for dropping support of IE9 & 10.