[PHPBB3-14775] Enable Media Embedding in posts (via s9e TextFormatter)

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

[PHPBB3-14775] Enable Media Embedding in posts (via s9e TextFormatter)

Post by MattF »

Now that we use s9e Text Formatter, I think it would be good to enable the use of its Media Embed plugin:
http://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io/ ... /Synopsis/

At this point I think it's safe to say the ability to post embedded video or adio content is no longer something we can consider "bloat". It would, IMO, be a step forward towards modernity if we could make this a native feature, rather than expecting extensions to continue handling it.
Has an irascible disposition.

rxu

Re: [PHPBB3-14775] Enable Media Embedding in posts (via s9e TextFormatter)

Post by rxu »

Totally agree, plus it'd be useful to simplify adding more media resources to embed to make it easily extendable.

danchr

Post by danchr »

VSE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:13 pm At this point I think it's safe to say the ability to post embedded video or adio content is no longer something we can consider "bloat". It would, IMO, be a step forward towards modernity if we could make this a native feature, rather than expecting extensions to continue handling it.
I can add to this point: not so long ago, a choir I sing in migrated our internal forum to phpBB, and our main use case for it is sharing the sheets and recordings we use. phpBB works very well for this — the only caveat is that iOS cannot play the files directly from the server, but I've posted patches to fix that.
VSE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:13 pm Now that we use s9e Text Formatter, I think it would be good to enable the use of its Media Embed plugin:
http://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io/ ... /Synopsis/
Well, at least for my use case, I'd want to be able to post the files to the board, as we lack the rights to publish them globally.

aleha

Post by aleha »

I fully support this proposal by VSE.
I have been using the javascript of a 3.0 mod to emulate a media bbcode and I think a native media bbcode would be an excellent addition to phpbb 3.3!
Users want to play media links without leaving the forum :D

Ger

Post by Ger »

$this++;
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

By the way, there is already an extension made by Joshy: https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-mediaembed
JoshyPHP wrote:
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Nicofuma wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:07 am By the way, there is already an extension made by Joshy: https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-mediaembed
JoshyPHP wrote:
Right, but as I said, it's time this be native, not an extension. The extension is for 3.1, which is a more complicated implementation because 3.1 does not have textformatter.

But in 3.2/3.3, it's literally just enabling the plugin in textformatters configurator.
Has an irascible disposition.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I think it's good to have it as an extension. Make an official extension for it and if you want users to have access to it right out of the box you can bundle it with phpBB itself.

One of the benefits of having it as an extension is that you can keep all the related code/files/templates together. Perhaps down the line you'll want to add a form in the ACP to add custom sites (like XenForo media sites for example) or something of the sort.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

JoshyPHP wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:25 pm I think it's good to have it as an extension. Make an official extension for it and if you want users to have access to it right out of the box you can bundle it with phpBB itself.
But given that the s9e formatter is already in 3.2 how complex is such an extension actually going to be for that line? Is it just going to enable a feature that is already included? Because if that's the case then perhaps it is indeed better to just have this enabled by default and configurable in 3.3 and forward.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

If we had a nice way to distribute a set of extensions within the package I'd say: let's do it as an extension. But we don't :/ So I think, that for now it should be in core but implemented as if it was an extension (ie: as decoupled as possible).
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM