A different take on phpBB for 2016 (style)

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: A different take on phpBB for 2016 (style)

Post by MattF »

You should release that as a Style for phpBB. Obviously it's not right for phpBB's base/default style, but it is a well made style that a lot of people would like to be able to use, if it's right for their type of board.
Has an irascible disposition.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Too much like NodeBB default style. It's pretty looking but I don't think the default style for phpBB should be that similar to some other forum software.
I'd agree with VSE here.

floppydiskette

Post by floppydiskette »

Rhino.Freak wrote:Too much like NodeBB default style. It's pretty looking but I don't think the default style for phpBB should be that similar to some other forum software.
I'd agree with VSE here.
I'd never seen NodeBB before, so I looked at it. I think the only thing that makes it look similar is the variety of colors. Take the colors out and just choose a color scheme with two main colors, and it wouldn't really look like that.

Anyway, I never presumed that what I made should be the new default style - just something I made in a day without modifying the actual template files that people might find interesting.
VSE wrote:You should release that as a Style for phpBB. Obviously it's not right for phpBB's base/default style, but it is a well made style that a lot of people would like to be able to use, if it's right for their type of board.
Thanks! I think some people would like to use something similar. The code is a huge mess, though.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

floppydiskette wrote:You can view the style in action at DevDiscuss.com
I just checked that site and it looks awesome!! .. Style looks good!!!

Did you do that??
Last edited by dude111 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floppydiskette

Post by floppydiskette »

I did it.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

hmm site is down so can not check the style out. So will hold of commenting on simpleness. I do think that prosilver is way over cluttered mostly due to a lack of design direction through the years. Things are in the wrong places for the wrong reasons. Some things are too large, some things are too small. Some things quite frankly need removed. Others only makes sense on certain pages or devices but are persistent. There is a lot of simplification that needs to happen for a base style design but it needs to be done right.

The screenshots look intriguing though the posts is not realy the hard part of a theme. Its all the navigations across all the different sections.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Eh I dunno bud.... I think Prosilver looks quite good!!

I like the colours,etc........ I am @ 800x600 and it squeezes together nicely!!

Louis7777

Re:  

Post by Louis7777 »

dude111 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:15 am I am @ 800x600 and it squeezes together nicely!!
I crossfit.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Ya I dunno if the skin is really made for smaller resolutions but on IE6 @ 800x600 it doesnt look too shabby!!

The people who make PHPBB do a good job!! (Xenforo also looks nice -- But I prefer VB3.x and lower over Xenforo (Looks nicer (faster,etc)))