[3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

[3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

Post by 3Di »

Hi,
if I posted into the wrong forum please move, thank you.

It would be nice and useful to add a new feature:
Topic description, as per the attached image
topic-descro-1.png
I am open mind.

Thanks.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

Post by Nicofuma »

We are trying to simplify the work flow about this kind of requests. So you should create a new ticket (and maybe label it as beginner as it shouldn't be difficult to implement)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Done https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14517

Unfortunately my account "3Di" still I can't use it on the tracker, I used "threedi" instead.

Thanks.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

I support this :) A simple option to enable or disable this in ACP and we're all set.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

I still don't get it. Why don't we just aim to have core as small as possible and leave such features for extension writers. This is really a not feature that would be requested by or used by majority of boards...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I've never needed to give a topic description for anything. Who would need to do that and who would even use that? Would be like having to write a post and a mini post at the same time. This has extension written all over it...

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Senky wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 5:42 pm I still don't get it. Why don't we just aim to have core as small as possible and leave such features for extension writers. This is really a not feature that would be requested by or used by majority of boards...
While I agree with you it's also true that additions of something this small is would likely not even change the size by even a KB.
Also yes extensions is probably the way to go but then comes the question "who will make it?" it always gets dragged on, maybe for feature requests like these phpbb should make some official extensions.
Also one more problem is that extensions aren't really shown to users unless they look for one. There should be some friendly tips and stuff in admin panel that suggest extensions but that's for another discussion.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 7:56 pmWhile I agree with you it's also true that additions of something this small is would likely not even change the size by even a KB.
It's not about filesize, but about complexity of the code. All 3.x versions suffer from the fact, that they inherit code from old 3.0 versions, which is, admit it, architectural disaster of procedural programming. The reason for core to be smaller is to get out of it. To make code cleaner and then and only after then such perks can be added without any trouble.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Senky wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 pm It's not about filesize, but about complexity of the code.
Nicofuma wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 am So you should create a new ticket (and maybe label it as beginner as it shouldn't be difficult to implement)
That's easy to implement, the screenshsot I posted belongs to my Dev Environment.
Senky wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 pm All 3.x versions suffer from the fact, that they inherit code from old 3.0 versions, which is, admit it, architectural disaster of procedural programming.
At those times the main coder was Acydburn, that inherited the phpBB2 version and did his best (most of the code belongs to him), if there were more coders like him that spent years on Olympus maybe we could have got a better code? Who can say that? :)
And this time I offer you a pearl, those guys that did the Security Audit for Olympus, unfortunately forgot the scissors into the body of the patient, as a matter of fact there is a known SEC bug since 3.0.0, fixed just some versions ago. So now please we shouldn't speak about others' coding skills. ;)
Senky wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 pm The reason for core to be smaller is to get out of it. To make code cleaner and then and only after then such perks can be added without any trouble.
This is a feature request for 3.3.x, is this gap of time enough?
DavidIQ wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm I've never needed to give a topic description for anything. Who would need to do that and who would even use that? Would be like having to write a post and a mini post at the same time. This has extension written all over it...
The idea comes from Categories Hierarchy by Pierre (pthrijk), a phpBB2 fork, at those times. Somebody here can easily recall of this, Rich?

Let's say about the support forum.. how many Topic titles have we seen like "help", "doesn't works", I want to", etc.. giving the opportunity to describe the reasons why somebody is askin for help will be nice and usefull.

Just a scenario, I have a lot though.

The Topic description will show (in this my feature request) only in viewforum, search, topic starters.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

3Di wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 pm The idea comes from Categories Hierarchy by Pierre (pthrijk), a phpBB2 fork, at those times. Somebody here can easily recall of this, Rich?
Yes I remember that quite well and Pierre (aka pthirik) taught me quite a bit of what I know now. In fact, I great deal of how phpBB evolved was due to that mod (eg, subforums).

Not sure if anyone would use the topic description though, eg, I would simply use the subject title (which is how it should be).
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money