phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 prosilver template with funny repeats

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Gwyneth Llewelyn

phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 prosilver template with funny repeats

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

I have noticed that in some cases, the default image for boards and threads (those that appear to the left) was being repeated (?), filling the whole row. That was a rather surprising behaviour, which seemed to happen randomly — so I cannot exactly pinpoint why it happened. I tested on several browsers and platforms: Firefox, Safari, Chrome, iPhone's Safari... logged in as a user, as an admin, and without logging in. Inspecting the CSS didn't show anything out of the extraordinary. And, as said, this would only happen some of the times, but not all, and every browser might (or not) display that strange artefact.

For good measure, I've added on colours.css background-repeat: no-repeat; to each of the items below /* Icon images. Saved it, cleared the cache, cleared the front-end cache, and the problem automagically disappeared on all browsers I've tested. The only explanation I've got is that somehow the browser renderer got confused at some point and did not assume no-repeat as the usual default for background-repeat, although it's really strange why that should happen across all browsers (i. e. it could have been a Gecko thing, or a WebKit thing, but it's strange to affect both... and just some of the times).

3.1.9 had no such issues because the CSS was done differently.

david63

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 prosilver template with funny repeats

Post by david63 »

3.2.0-RC1 has not been released yet, and should only be used if you know how to install a development version of phpBB. It has already been pointed out that 3.2.0-RC1 may not be complete.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 prosilver template with funny repeats

Post by Arty »

Strange. There is no inline background-image style, so it shouldn't be happening. Also content.css is downloaded before colours.css and way before background images are loaded, so background-repeat rule should be applied faster than background-image.

Can you test loading timeline on your forum? Check what is loaded first: forum_read.gif or content.css
david63 wrote: Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 pm3.2.0-RC1 has not been released yet, and should only be used if you know how to install a development version of phpBB. It has already been pointed out that 3.2.0-RC1 may not be complete.
Doesn't matter. He just wanted to point out possible issue. This is clearly not a RC1 specific issue, it could apply to beta 2 and dev versions as well.