phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Un1matr1x

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

Post by Un1matr1x »

Nicofuma wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm What should the packages embed?
The answer is simple: only what is needed by the end user so installer and production. The development and test environment can be dangerous if they used on a live board and they aren't meant for the end user at all.
We also assume that an extension developer is able to get the development configuration from Github if he needs it.
I would love to see all alpha/beta & rc - builds to have the development configuration included

This releases should never be used live and it wouold be easier for extension authors to check their extensions @ this place allready and very easy

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

But how would it be that easier? You can get them on Github already and you will have to do that for any further version
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

3Di

Post by 3Di »

3Di wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm Thanks, but.. there is not a
Nicofuma wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Code: Select all

@define('DEBUG', true);
line there.
That's mine live config.php

Code: Select all

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
@define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
@define('DEBUG_CONTAINER', true);
So there isn't any explain stuff too.
Is it intended behaviour or?

Adding that line to config.php solves the issue.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The RC, A, B releases should all still be production (and NOT include development). As mentioned before, development should only be used by developers (of the core or extensions) who know what they are doing and can get it from GitHub.

Of course for proper extension development, none of this is an issue because you should really be doing your extension (or core) developing within a clone of the phpBB repository...not some arbitrary release version. That way you are always developing for the most current developing branch of phpBB, and have the full development resources of phpBB at your disposal automatically. That means access to phpunit testing, phing builds, and all the environments.

A developer can use QuickInstall to set up release/production boards if they need to do something in a particular release/version of phpBB (i.e.: debug or test some specific issue).
Has an irascible disposition.

david63

Post by david63 »

VSE wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:38 pm Of course for proper extension development, none of this is an issue because you should really be doing your extension (or core) developing within a clone of the phpBB repository...not some arbitrary release version.
I am not sure that I would agree with that in respect of extensions (apart from the "some arbitrary release version" - it should be latest release version).

If an extension developer was to use a clone of phpBB repository then there could be changes in that repro that could affect an extension and the extension's code would then be adapted to handle that situation. This would then mean that the extension developer would need to maintain two versions of the extension in development as the majority of users who are helping with testing would not have a "clone" installed. Furthermore any extension that is submitted to the CDB has, as a requirement, to work with the latest released version of phpBB.

Now I accept that this will only be an issue with a small number of extensions but nonetheless it could lead to complications/confusion.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

david63 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:23 am
VSE wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:38 pm Of course for proper extension development, none of this is an issue because you should really be doing your extension (or core) developing within a clone of the phpBB repository...not some arbitrary release version.
I am not sure that I would agree with that in respect of extensions (apart from the "some arbitrary release version" - it should be latest release version).

If an extension developer was to use a clone of phpBB repository then there could be changes in that repro that could affect an extension and the extension's code would then be adapted to handle that situation. This would then mean that the extension developer would need to maintain two versions of the extension in development as the majority of users who are helping with testing would not have a "clone" installed. Furthermore any extension that is submitted to the CDB has, as a requirement, to work with the latest released version of phpBB.

Now I accept that this will only be an issue with a small number of extensions but nonetheless it could lead to complications/confusion.
Changes to, say the 3.1.x branch, never break compatibility with previously releases.

There's no need to maintain 2 or more versions (I certainly never have). The only issue really affecting extensions would pertain to brand new template/core events, all of which are labelled by version introduction, letting you know where your extension's min. requirements should stand. If you're using events so new they are not in any release yet, surely you'd have enough sense to hold off on making your ext public (let alone submit to CDB)...but at the same time, you can continue developing and testing it yourself since your development environment is totally current with phpBB's stable development branch.

The phpBB Team recommends extension development be done within a clone of the phpBB repository, as a best practice. If you want to ignore the recommendation, by all means you are free to do so. But it is to your benefit to consider the recommendations of the team, which comes out of our collective experience and expertise.
Has an irascible disposition.

Cin

Post by Cin »

When can we expect beta 3 / RC1 release?

david63

Post by david63 »

Cin wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:09 am When can we expect beta 3 / RC1 release?
When it is ready
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

david63 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am
Cin wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:09 am When can we expect beta 3 / RC1 release?
When it is ready
Very funny ! :) This month ? this year ? this century ...