short dates and long dates

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
pierredu

short dates and long dates

Post by pierredu »

Hello,

In the ACP, the administrator can give a pattern to produce date strings (on the model of PHP date function). In the UCP, the user can override this option to customise the display at his/her taste. Fine.

Those date strings are used in different places, and here begins the problem.
Let's say that i take d M Y H:i:s. This is fine for a post or a topic, because I can use some precision just to know whether the post is one hour old or one day old.
On the other hand, this same string is used for the registration date. And this is time it is clearly overkill, since the date dd:MM:YYYY can be of interest, but surely not the time of the day (and surely not the day of the week).

Therefore, I think there should be two strings to be defined in the ACP/UCP, on short and one long date.

RMcGirr83

Re: short dates and long dates

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Seems to be minutia to me.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

david63

Post by david63 »

And can easily be fixed, if necessary, with an extension.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

John P

Post by John P »

david63

Post by david63 »

John P wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:12 am Something like this https://github.com/ForumHulp/joined ?
Possibly - but I was thinking more of https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... te_format/
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

pierredu

Post by pierredu »

Thanks for the pointers.