[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Mess

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by Mess »

The only advantage of using Font Awesome for me as a admin, would be the ability to quickly add/change icons.
But that would not be worth it if it meant risk of noticeable bigger overhead or Interruptions out of my control.

Maybe it could be made as an extra option instead of an dependency?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by hanakin »

phpdummie wrote:I find the benefits of this quite doubtful.
1. this font may not be accessible at any given moment due to a number of reasons, i.e. service interruptions, firewalls for intranets etc.
2. the overhead is very substantial. The file size is quite large compered to the number of icons to be used.
3. the content is out of our hands. If any icons change, we'll be forced to update, but deployed sites may not update promptly and be left displaying wrong content.

I think the icon needs are better served with a new set of graphic icons, possibly and hopefully in SVG.
You do not seem to understand what you are saying.

1. Doubt full as its used in hundreads of thousands of sites already without issue. Its getting more and more use daily and CDNs drastically help the with connection issues. We can even offset this by hosting our own version on amazons cdn server if need be. Add to that a end all fallback of serving a localy hosted version. Its no different then including jquery!

2. acctuall size is irrelevatent as its explicitly chached via a CDN. Furthermore the ammount of icons we would be using to reproduce in imge format is several times larger than the size of implimenting font awsome, more so when you add in the ability to serve retina versions.

3. I do not even understand your logic on this one. Its CDN controlled which updates itself as far as the font is concerned. The code is the only thing that would need to be updated if we ever decided to do that and it would be tied to a release of the software so again no effect their!
Mess wrote:The only advantage of using Font Awesome for me as a admin, would be the ability to quickly add/change icons.
But that would not be worth it if it meant risk of noticeable bigger overhead or Interruptions out of my control.

Maybe it could be made as an extra option instead of an dependency?
Again their would not be any real noticable interuption. about as much as you would see with jquery
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

phpdummie

Re: State of Area51

Post by phpdummie »

Nah! How could I? What do I know? I know crap!

When I see a bunch of tiny GIF images where a single PNG sprite should be, I know it's crap.
When I see you getting rid of human language dependencies in graphic files and stopping at "Online" badge - the simplest CSS3 solution - I know it's crap.
When your templating engine does not override CSS, I know it's crap.

Thanks for the welcoming message, hanakin. I guess I will leave you guys to your smarts. Good luck with keeping the phpBB slowly headed toward the ground, like you have been all this years.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post made in a completely irrelevant topic. Moved to the topic where quote is from.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

I for one give FA a massive +1! I used it on my 3.0.x boards and I loved it. In fact I could do with it being implemented in 3.1.x ASAP.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Update to this and call for community assistance. I pretty much finalized or so I hope all the code required for the conversion to Font-Awesome. minus a small JS exploit

The PR can be found here: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/3851

I am asking for the team and community assistance to help review and cross browser check all the changes as there is alot of them. Several aspects of the underlying code had to be revamped to make everything play nice.

Clarifications:
1. The icon choices are not necessarily finalized as they may still require further discussion please refrain from discussing that on the PR. Instead comment about that here I will post a list.
2. Methods and actual coding choices should also not be discussed on the PR unless its in error. IE for now I am including font-Awesome via the CDN. This is for production for now. Once we ensure everything is good to go we can work out the actual method of delivery.
3. I am looking for plain and simple comments on the PR related to browser render issues for the following browsers: IE9, IE10, IE11, EDGE, Firefox(Mac & Windows), Safari, Chrome(All)
4. Please do point out any omissions or left out icon replacements.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Merged!

Mess

Post by Mess »

Interesting that you choose to bring that up now, after it has been merged and the development time has been put in.
There has been plenty of time to voice any concerns.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the new icons. Especially quote, and report.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

The unread icons in viewtopic are no longer a different color as the read icons, making it impossible to see which post is unread.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Mess wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 am Interesting that you choose to bring that up now, after it has been merged and the development time has been put in.
There has been plenty of time to voice any concerns.
I never saw the topic. I think I brought it up in real life at one of our events, but obviously couldn't cite people so was ignored.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog