phpBB 3.2 language problems

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

phpBB 3.2 language problems

Post by leschek »

I looked to phpbb 3.2 language files and there is a few lines I don't understand:

in install_new.php file:

'MODULE_NOT_FOUND_DESCRIPTION' => 'No module is found under the service definition “%s” is not defined.',

and similar

'TASK_NOT_FOUND_DESCRIPTION' => 'No task is found under the service definition “%s” is not defined.',

isn't there missing comma? I would understand it, if it's written this way:

'TASK_NOT_FOUND_DESCRIPTION' => 'No task is found under the service definition, “%s” is not defined.',

but I'm not sure, if it's right interpretation.

In cli.php file is:

'CLI_REPARSER_REPARSE_REPARSING' => 'Reparsing %1$s (range %2$d..%3$d)',

Can someone write me example or explanation for those variables, please?

JoshyPHP

Re: phpBB 3.2 language problems

Post by JoshyPHP »

Reparsing %1$s (range %2$d..%3$d) becomes something like this: Reparsing post_text (range 1..1000)

It means it's reparsing the post_text values of rows between 1 and 1000. The string should be kept as short as possible.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

And for the rest: I'm a terrible english speaker. Would you mind creating a ticket please?

leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for explanation.
Issue created.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

CHItA wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 am And for the rest: I'm a terrible english speaker.
That's OK, but I would suggest having somebody who is an excellent English speaker (reader) proofread language file pull requests of those people who aren't good English speakers (writers). Given that British English is the "official" phpBB language, that should be a requirement.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Every pull request is reviewed, so we are already trying to do our best.

leschek

Post by leschek »

I found another line I have problem to translate (in install.php language file):

'UPDATE_FILE_UPDATER_HAS_FAILED' => 'File updater “%1$s“ has failed. The installer will try to fallback to “%2$s“.',

Can someone write me example for those two variables, please?

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

leschek wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:49 pm I found another line I have problem to translate (in install.php language file):

'UPDATE_FILE_UPDATER_HAS_FAILED' => 'File updater “%1$s“ has failed. The installer will try to fallback to “%2$s“.',

Can someone write me example for those two variables, please?
The file updater supports 3 methods (directly modifying the files, updating the files via FTP, or provide the files as an archive to the user to download and then manually upload to the server). In case the method selected by the user fails for some reason, the installer will try to fallback to another method.

So an example would be, that you choose to update the files via an FTP connection, but your server does not support those PHP extensions, so you will get a message saying File updater “Updating files via FTP“ has failed. The installer will try to fallback to “Updating files via direct file access“..

leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for quick help and explanation.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Can I translate words between tags <info>--send-email</info> (in this case --send-email) in language file: language/xy/cli.php?

Example: To optionally send an email to the new user, use the <info>--send-email</info> option

EDIT: I guess it shouldn't be translated.