New rules for pull requests & commits

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
naderman
Consultant

New rules for pull requests & commits

Post by naderman »

So with the new automation for pull requests I think we can reduce the number of rules for contributions a fair amount to make it a little easier for new comers to contribute.

A ticket is now automatically created when you create a pull request, so I think we should no longer require everyone to specify a ticket id in all commits. I think we should also remove the branch prefix rule for commits, so that one can simply describe commits with a subject line and body. branch names should not be limited at all, as it doesn't have any real impact on us what names other forks use.

I think if we reduce all of these rules, contributing to phpBB will just become a more positive experience for new contributors as they don't need to spend as much time modifying their commits to follow our strict rules.

Unless anyone disagrees I'll go ahead and simplify our rules in the Git wiki document a lot, and it can be imported into the new documentation then.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: New rules for pull requests & commits

Post by Nicofuma »

The ticket number in the commit message is required for the bamboo and JIRA integration IIRC
But what we could do is to edit the commit messages when merging to add them
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Problems we need to work out:
  • bamboo build association with issues
  • How to figure out in git history which issue was related to a commit

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

naderman wrote:How to figure out in git history which issue was related to a commit
Didn't you said, that the ticket id of the newly created ticket would be added to the PR? If so, then it's easy.

The PR number of a commit is displayed in a commit so you should be able to find the ticket id. :)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

@Elsensee the question is if we can rely on us using github forever. I'd rather have the information in the git repository itself.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Nicofuma wrote:But what we could do is to edit the commit messages when merging to add them
I would really like to make that simpler not harder, e.g. let's get to a point where we can always just simply use the merge button.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

When using the merge button can we custom the commit message?
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

Nicofuma wrote:When using the merge button can we custom the commit message?
I think so, but how does that help? If we're using git blame we don't see the merge commits. And while we can go to the parent commit in GitHub we can't go to the child somehow. :/