General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Pony99CA

Re: New Posts Not Working?

Post by Pony99CA »

This is still happening. I see "new" posts back to January 22.

Could somebody suggest something or look at my account and see if something is messed up?

Thanks,

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Same here. It's not just you.
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

As noted in my previous post, this seems to be a cookie problem. If I delete all board cookies, the "old" posts no longer show up in the New Posts results. However, that basically just resets the date; I start seeing old posts shown as new from that date forward.

Has anybody looked into this issue yet? It's not just happening to me as VSE noted, so I wonder how many people it is affecting. I'm using IE 10 on Windows 7 if that helps.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

This is still happening to me too, I have 3 pages of "New Posts" that date back all the way to February. I'm using Firefox on Windows 8.1.

Edit: So logged in via IE to test this and got the same 3 pages (was still logged in via firefox). Cleared the cookies in IE and then logged back in (IE) and I had no new posts. Refreshed the page in Firefox it now shows no new posts as well.

So maybe a DB/sessions issue, couldn't really be a cookie thing because browsers don't share cookies and resetting IE shouldn't have affected Firefox?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Looking at the way "newposts" works in search.php it looks like users.user_lastvisit is what is being used to figure out what your last visit to the site was and then produce the list. This doesn't look to have changed between 3.0 and 3.1 however and neither has the session methods/functions that update this value, which only do the updating when actually logging in, logging out, when session keys get cleared, or when sessions are "garbage collected".

Not sure if we should maybe be using "session_last_visit" instead but the current behavior is how it's been since 3.0, which doesn't mean it's the correct behavior of course. Just stating the story and the facts the code tells.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:Looking at the way "newposts" works in search.php it looks like users.user_lastvisit is what is being used to figure out what your last visit to the site was and then produce the list. This doesn't look to have changed between 3.0 and 3.1 however and neither has the session methods/functions that update this value, which only do the updating when actually logging in, logging out, when session keys get cleared, or when sessions are "garbage collected".

Not sure if we should maybe be using "session_last_visit" instead but the current behavior is how it's been since 3.0, which doesn't mean it's the correct behavior of course. Just stating the story and the facts the code tells.
I confirmed that logging out and logging back in resets the New Posts display. The problem is that it used to work differently here. Each day that I would visit only showed me topics that had new posts (sometimes if I visited twice in a day, I might see a topic with no new posts, but it was gone the next day). I had logged in with the Remember me option selected and never had to log out to see only "new" posts.

Could the session key clearing/garbage collection things have changed, thus causing the changed behavior? The other alternative is that the users.last_visit isn't being reset like it used to be.

Steve

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

DavidIQ wrote:Looking at the way "newposts" works in search.php it looks like users.user_lastvisit is what is being used to figure out what your last visit to the site was and then produce the list. This doesn't look to have changed between 3.0 and 3.1 however and neither has the session methods/functions that update this value, which only do the updating when actually logging in, logging out, when session keys get cleared, or when sessions are "garbage collected".

I think it's more of an issue with the server here, not the code. For example, on .com, the new posts page behaves as expected.

This has happened here at a51 before, a couple years ago, and was resolved. It returned after a51 was brought back online again after we were down due to our infrastructure attack at the beginning of the year.
Has an irascible disposition.