phpBB 3.1 load

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
JoshyPHP

Re: phpBB 3.1 load

Post by JoshyPHP »

Doesn't really improve memory usage though, right? Most likely the first number was with a dynamic container, the second was with a cached container.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

JoshyPHP wrote:Doesn't really improve memory usage though, right? Most likely the first number was with a dynamic container, the second was with a cached container.
A PHP Cache dramatically improves memory usage, by as much as 3x less memory.
Has an irascible disposition.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

To be precise, on a raw 3.1 forum there it's a 50ms improvement (for a total of 48ms with opCache)

You can find the links to the profiles here: https://gist.github.com/Nicofuma/c09aef3e28127b09ea28 (note: I have to profile 3.2 without opcache again and for all the links the profile is an average of 10 profiles)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Nicofuma wrote:To be precise, on a raw 3.1 forum there it's a 50ms improvement (for a total of 48ms with opCache)

You can find the links to the profiles here: https://gist.github.com/Nicofuma/c09aef3e28127b09ea28 (note: I have to profile 3.2 without opcache again and for all the links the profile is an average of 10 profiles)
In those profiles (w/o PHP memory cache/acceleration):
phpBB 3.0 - 1.1 MB, 10ms
phpBB 3.1 - 10.4 MB, 100ms
phpBB 3.2 - 16.4MB, 205 ms

...just saying... :geek:

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

VSE wrote:phpBB 3.2 - 16.4MB, 205 ms
:o

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

VSE wrote:A PHP Cache dramatically improves memory usage, by as much as 3x less memory.
We may be talking about different things. Are you saying that an opcode cache improves memory usage, or are you talking about phpBB's general-purpose cache? (the one set in the config as $acm_type)

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

I think he was talking about opCache. But it could be a good idea to profile the change with different cache class... I'll have a look :)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I've never heard that opcode caches decrease memory usage though, and I can't see how they would. That's more consistent with a general-purpose (data-) cache like phpBB's.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

JoshyPHP wrote:I've never heard that opcode caches decrease memory usage though, and I can't see how they would. That's more consistent with a general-purpose (data-) cache like phpBB's.
I'm talking about PHP plugins like http://php.net/manual/en/intro.opcache.php

just as phpBB's caching gives minor improvements in RAM usage because it caches, and thus does not need to execute select queries and pieces of data every request... plugins like OPcache significantly reduce RAM because it caches entire PHP scripts code:

"OPcache improves PHP performance by storing precompiled script bytecode in shared memory, thereby removing the need for PHP to load and parse scripts on each request."

Anytime I try them in my dev environment, memory drops from an average of 15MB to 5MB, but it's useless in a dev environment since any code changes won't show (because it's using whatever was cached :x )

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I've run 3.0 and 3.1 now. Without a doubt 3.1 is slower than 3.0. Also, if you run a 3.1 forum through Google Speed test site as a benchmark, it'll usually come back with pretty bad results for speed, and no matter which 3.1 forum you run through it. They all tend to get poor results on speed.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... tab=mobile