PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Louis7777

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Louis7777 »

What if we had some sort of live preview?

There could be a "Source" button (or w/e else we'd call it) just like in CKeditor and with which we would be able to switch between Live Preview (or w/e else we'd call it) and BBCode Editor (our current normal way of making a post):
new-opencart-editor.jpg
We could remove the current "Preview" button as the aforementioned button would show us the updated preview.

You will get exactly what you will see in the Live Preview so it's WYSIWYG, although it is not "WYSIWYG editor". :lol:

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

brunoais wrote:exx8 says to move from BBCode to WYSIWYG. I assume he wants to get rid of BBCode altogether in determent of WYSIWYG.
I have read nothing of the sort. I'm afraid you're attacking a straw man.
Louis7777 wrote:What if we had some sort of live preview?
I like live preview (here's how much I like live preview) but it doesn't really address the issue that beginners have a hard time with BBCodes. IMO it's a feature that's more useful to experienced users.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

JoshyPHP wrote:
brunoais wrote:exx8 says to move from BBCode to WYSIWYG. I assume he wants to get rid of BBCode altogether in determent of WYSIWYG.
exx8 wrote: Don't you think it's odd, that phpbb will be soon the last board that hasn't switched to WYSIWYG? it is far more user-friendly.
exx8 wrote:switch to
Definition of switching wrote:an act of changing to or adopting one thing in place of another.
Did I misinterpreted anything :S?
JoshyPHP wrote:
I like live preview (here's how much I like live preview) but it doesn't really address the issue that beginners have a hard time with BBCodes. IMO it's a feature that's more useful to experienced users.
Yeah... SCE has that, that's part of the main reasons why it won :).

exx8

Post by exx8 »

brunoais wrote:
exx8 wrote: I believe that the security issues are solvable.
1.After people suffering from them, right?
2.Think what happened with OpenSSL when they found an error in how memory is handled. It was fixed but until it actually got fixed, lots of potential private data had been stolen.
exx8 wrote: If IPB and VB have added this feature, it is a standard, which phpbb doesn't follow.
3.... And their versions are godamn AWFUL. I can say that as I had nearly stopped visiting 5 forums because of that. They are too frustrating to work with.
exx8 wrote: Can you remember when the development team was against quick replies? Conservatism leads us to nothing.
A user can learn how to use bbcode, but he can in the same probability switch to another board with wysiwyg.
Don't you think it's odd, that phpbb will be soon the last board that hasn't switched to WYSIWYG? it is far more user-friendly.
People are not used to use an archaic, system of programming. If it had been the case, then everyone would have built sites, etc.
Replying in a forum should not be harder than calling your friend with a phone.
4.It seems like you are trying to convince us who are convinced phpBB should have a WYSIWYG editor.
exx8 wrote: Nobody should learn how to reply in a forum.
5.You are not forced to markup your answer with BBCode. You may just use no BBCode at all.
exx8 wrote: The first rule, in human engineering, is that an action must be intuitive.
Using bbcode might be intuitive for you, but for most of the users, it isn't.
6.There is no intuitive way of doing this and there never will.
From the point that you need "special characters" with special meanings, you are falling away from the human's intuition.
exx8 wrote: And this conclusion has been concluded, by most of the developers, including the most conservative ones.
What was the Norma 3 years ago, isn't relevant anymore. While we speak, more and more forums are transferring to WYSIWYG.
7.And most are a piece of *****. Not to consider it is not a transfer task. It is just an editor. You are getting a really bad idea here.
exx8 wrote: PHPBB can ignore this, and become less and less relevant to its audience.
By the way, the users of IPB and VB probably don't even know what bbcode is. So, yeah, it is a bizarre language.
8.That answers why there are so many complains...
exx8 wrote: BBcode is like the Gothic Language, it was popular, but it isn't anymore.
I believe, that WYSIWYG is a game changer. So, nobody will die if phpbb won't include WYIWYG, well except of phpbb itself.
9.WaiWaiWait.... WYSIWYG is incompatible with BBCode in your opinion?
exx8 wrote:
brunoais wrote:I also have an extra comment:
Are you sure BBCode is a bizarrer language than Markdown? Markdown only works better than BBCode for the simplest of the simple.
If you think Markdown is better than BBCode, you first start by making a topic on that (give the link too, pls) and specify how can board admins specify to phpBB how custom Markdown should look like.
Have I said a word in favor of markdown? I really don't care what phpbb will do behind the scenes (well I do, but it isn't crucial).
If you want, phpbb can use verses of the bible, to mark its posts. I really don't care.
I believe that before the notifications had been developed, a WYIWYG should have been integrated, this is the most important update that phpbb development team needs to make.
OK, misunderstand from my part.
10.Even still, tell me any WYSIWYG editor on a forum that actually works correctly (i.e. without "hiccups") with included and custom BBCode and allows you to to type directly in the post's source code with assistance (E.g. phpBB's buttons above the post body textarea)
1.but you can say it about every feature. Why should us stop there? let's instead of parsing the BBcode, just present it like it is, I mean it is so intuitive.
2.The risk of W... is probably XSS only. There are far more dangerous features, including those which have been introduced in 3.1.
3. But they are far better than phpbb's. Let's make a poll. Nobody except of the developers, will pick BBcode.
4.So, if we all agree, when it'll be released?
5.I can't quote color or do anything but writing a text without BBcode. I can't use smileys, without BBcode. So, yes I don't have to learn BBcode, I can just switch to a board that works with W...
6.Well, W... is all about not using those codes. Just pressing a button and see the results, which is far more intuitive than coding.
7. But the result is the audience prefers theirs to yours.
8. If it weren't convenient, it wouldn't stay. but it has . Meaning, it is.
9. I think it is actually.
10. In most of the board systems, A user can pick between code and W... it is a fair compromise. And even easier to make (No need to work on conversion of old posts).

PS when I wrote switching, I meant that the users will move from phpbb to MYBB for example.
Louis' suggestion, is the preferable one.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Which editor are you now talking about using SCEditor or CKEditor with 3.2?

I thought you scrapped the idea of using CKEditor in favour of using SCEditor

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

it already exists in 2 versions, as already mentioned x times before ;)

eg, here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=32196&p=261473#p261473

jQ Preview

Live Preview

both works perfect and extract automatically unsecure codes. my favorite is the jq version :geek:

p.s. both have a working demo :ugeek:

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Not much of a straw man :roll:
exx8 wrote:Nobody except of the developers, will pick BBcode.
exx8 wrote:BBcode is like the Gothic Language, it was popular, but it isn't anymore.
But apparently what exx8 has completely forgotten is that IPB and Vb both still use BBcode to some extent.

Also the only WYSIWYG editors I have seen being used is on IPB I havn't seen that many Vb boards using it. As a matter of fact i haven't seen many Vb boards that are using anything higher that the Vb 4 branch.

And then there is this from Vb's own FAQ
vB wrote:
How do I format my posts and messages?

When posting messages you may wish to include some formatting such as bold text, italic text and underlined text.

Adding formatting to your post can be done in two ways:

Using clickable controls similar to those found in most word processors
Typing formatting commands in BB code

Clickable controls are available in the Standard and Enhanced WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors. The difference between these is that the standard editor will show the BB code in your message and be processed when it is displayed. The enhanced WYSIWYG editor will show your message as it will be displayed while you are typing.

To use these, simply click the button, for example the B (bold) button and then type to get bold text. Click the button again to stop using that formatting. You can also highlight text that you have already typed then click the formatting button to format existing text.

BB code is a special set of codes similar to HTML that can be used in posts to the board. To see the full list of BB code tags that can be used on this site and examples of their use, click here.
So according to them what phpBB is using is a standard WYSIWYG editor anyway, and what your wanting is a "Enhanced WYSIWYG" editor.

So what's the point most users would rather have something that just works not something fancy that works most of the time.
exx8 wrote:I can't quote color or do anything but writing a text without BBcode. I can't use smileys, without BBcode. So, yes I don't have to learn BBcode, I can just switch to a board that works with W...
You do know all you have to do is click the smileys, and or the font colour buttons and they just work right? This is the way it works everywhere including facebook and texting. Also this is the way it works in Vb
vb wrote:To use these, simply click the button, for example the B (bold) button and then type to get bold text. Click the button again to stop using that formatting. You can also highlight text that you have already typed then click the formatting button to format existing text.
boilingstream wrote:
it already exists in 2 versions, as already mentioned x times before ;)

eg, here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=32196&p=261473#p261473

jQ Preview

Live Preview

both works perfect and extract automatically unsecure codes. my favorite is the jq version :geek:

p.s. both have a working demo :ugeek:
If this would be upgraded to an extension maybe. Stop posting outdated information it's not perfect if you have to mod the board to use it. Also the dates on those posts are from 2011, and that board only has one post from 2015.

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

if a thing works, it doesnt matter how old it is :D
and the missing transform to an ext is no argument nor a hurdle ;)

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

boilingstream wrote:if a thing works, it doesnt matter how old it is :D
This is exactly why the internet still is tweaking code and hacking workarounds for IE 6-8.

If windows xp works why upgrade, if my old powerpc mac still works why upgrade.

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

you know exactly what i mean, so dont nerve :D