[RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.

Do you think agree with the suggestion?

Yes
61%
Nah
39%

Total votes: 28

Dragosvr92

Re: [RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Is it just me or the forums have very few active members..?
Why isnt the area51 staff get involved with posted RFCs here? I would expect at least the Developer and Styles teams to get involved and decide if RFCs are worth attention.
Previous user: TheKiller

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Is it just me or the forums have very few active members..?
Why isnt the area51 staff get involved with posted RFCs here? I would expect at least the Developer and Styles teams to get involved and decide if RFCs are worth attention.
Hi,

The phpBB team actively visit Area51 and read topics, however, not every topic necessarily piques the interest of every team member, nor does every team member have something to comment upon with regards to every new feature, improvement or change. If they did then it would take up a large amount of their time that could possibly be better spent doing other things and convolute discussion with un-necessary posts. As such team members will naturally gravitate towards reading topics that they hold opinions about and share those opinions if they feel it would be constructive to the discussion and I'm sure the same applies for members of the community/public.

This board is for more technical users to discuss the technical implementation of new changes to phpBB and discussion of development, therefore making this board's community a much more niche one than that of say http://www.phpbb.com and those members will not comment on everything, but rather those those things that they have opinions on, that interest them or they believe they have something constructive with good discussion value to add. I would also add that different teams have different roles within the larger phpBB team and the role of the styles team, which you have mentioned, is more orientated towards styles validation for our CDB, how styles are developed and the features available to styles authors although of course any team member is welcome to comment on any issue on Area51.

In this case a discussion has been progressing with many points being made so most team members who have read this topic (Such as myself) have likely seen nothing of value they believe they specifically needed to add. I would also add that one manager (DavidIQ) and another team member (VSE) have both posted views on this matter a number of times throughout this topic.

I personally agree with both of their views that this is better as an extension but I also have nothing further to add to the discussion beyond that which has already been said by David and Matt, hence my lack of comment thus far.

--
Thanks,
MichaelC
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

My point has been this RFC is taking an absolutist approach in that it makes this a global change to all phpBB installations on a contentious point, when something we take pride in is our high level of flexibility and customizability, and how many of the features not in the core are available in the form of extensions.

While this is a change that many board admins might like, others may not and this is, in its current state, a non-configurable change. We have worked hard to develop an extensions infrastructure in 3.1 to make it even easier than ever before for admins to customize their boards to their personal preferences without needing to have every feature or configurable change in phpBB's core itself. As previously stated this is now available as an extension and is therefore available to board admins who prefer this functionality compared to the current core behavior and anyone (including yourself) are welcome to take it over and release it in the customizations database for increased accessibility.

An alternative solution, whilst remaining pro-choice between the suggested and present behavior, is to add this to the core with a configurable ACP option with the default behavior set to what it is presently. But to justify adding the extra complexity to the core of phpBB (and avoiding the bloat) we would have to be in the belief that admins would have a strong enough preference one way or the other that they would use this configurable functionality, but wouldn't visit phpBB.com to download the extension from the customization database.
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE wrote:An alternative solution, whilst remaining pro-choice between the suggested and present behavior, is to add this to the core with a configurable ACP option with the default behavior set to what it is presently. But to justify adding the extra complexity to the core of phpBB (and avoiding the bloat) we would have to be in the belief that admins would have a strong enough preference one way or the other that they would use this configurable functionality, but wouldn't visit phpBB.com to download the extension from the customization database.
I was going to suggest that, too. A "maximum quoted image size" option in the ACP (where zero means "size to fit") wouldn't make it an absolute change and would allow admins to set the maximum size that made sense to them. (And, of course, if there wasn't enough room to fit the maximum size image, it would scale as it does today.)

Given that the poll voting, while hardly scientific, seems to favor the change by a large percentage, it seems that it might justify adding the option to the ACP. Of course, that makes the implementation significantly more difficult, probably moving it to phpBB 3.2. If you could make your extension support the ACP setting, then get it into the Extensions Database, we'd be able to see the general community's interest in it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

James N

Post by James N »

Pony99CA wrote: I was going to suggest that, too. A "maximum quoted image size" option in the ACP (where zero means "size to fit") wouldn't make it an absolute change and would allow admins to set the maximum size that made sense to them. (And, of course, if there wasn't enough room to fit the maximum size image, it would scale as it does today.)</snip>
Sounds perfect to me

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

James N wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: I was going to suggest that, too. A "maximum quoted image size" option in the ACP (where zero means "size to fit") wouldn't make it an absolute change and would allow admins to set the maximum size that made sense to them. (And, of course, if there wasn't enough room to fit the maximum size image, it would scale as it does today.)</snip>
Sounds perfect to me
An ACP option for that? You can change the size in the CSS.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:
James N wrote:
Sounds perfect to me
An ACP option for that? You can change the size in the CSS.
We already have several image/avatar size settings in the ACP, so this would just be one more. I'm normally against "trivial" ACP settings, but this seems like people want it.

And which is easier for a non-technical board admin to change -- an ACP setting or CSS?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I just dont believe people would wish it so hard to change this often. Most will be ok with the standard that phpbb imposes.
If they do want to change it, they will post about it and be instructed on what to do. They will post to ask how to change it even if it gets an acp option because they wont know there is one. Or they will also attempt to change it in css because they dont know there is a setting.

I dont suppose there is a way to add acp control in css files, so this will be a nasty embedded css in the html template, same as we do with user colour. We dont provide an acp option to change the forum height and width, or the colour of every single css variable... So i dont see why this very simple and useful fix would require an acp option. Its just an easy style tweak and i really dont think its worth to turn it into a core thing as it would over complicate things... But its a decent proposal with the acp option too.... so whatever the phpbb devs see fit.....

neuropass

Post by neuropass »

yeah nah for sure lol

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Repeating the facts:

It really makes no sense to me to repeat the same image on fullscale in each quote...
It slows down scrolling and distracts you from the actual content....

It doesnt even have to be configurable. Its a thumbnail. Why would we want to configure a thumbnail via the acp?
Its only style related. Is there a setting to change the forum wrapping width... or any other css value? No.

All these are good arguments explaining why a single line of css code is improving the layout and reader experience a lot.
What are the cons... That it has to be how ITs ALWAYS Been and that it needs options to disable or change the css value....
There are no configurable css values in phpbb i can remember anyway.... Besides "hard coded" username colours using a style attribute.

Maybe things will change in another branch.... :)