Proposing a more proper PM icon

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Proposing a more proper PM icon

Post by Dragosvr92 »

So, both classes icon-pm and icon-contact are using the same envelope Image image. Both do look fine representing what the are meant to... but While i was browsing a site with icons... i said to have a look and try to merge these two.

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/leox-gr ... -icon.html
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/plump-i ... -icon.html

So ive come up with this.... Its silhouette inside a padlock which makes the envelope appear privatised.....
Mail-icon.png
Mail-icon.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 10384 times
Its not great as when its being resized it loses the detail, but i thought i would suggest this concept here in case a designer could come up with something better. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

Louis7777

Re: Proposing a more proper PM icon

Post by Louis7777 »

1. It cannot have different colors than the rest of the icons.

Dragosvr92 wrote:Its not great as when its being resized it loses the detail,
So it's as if there is no silhouette and padlock.

[1] + [2] => it's the same icon as the current one :P

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I wasnt referring to the envelope colour but only the concept of personalising it with the lock and the silhouette.
The detail fails to remain in my attempt of doing it. But that doesnt mean its impossible for proper experienced designers to do it.

Even if it wont be done in 3.1. Maybe 4.0 will have larger icons and they can still use the idea. :)
Anyway... just thought on leaving it here. :lol:

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

IMO the an envelope itself is considered private. A typical letter is addressed to one person or persons, also in the US and UK its illegal to open a letter or mail that is not addressed to you.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I know what you're trying to achieve with the icon but perhaps something more in line with what we currently have would be better. Maybe you can add the lock thing to the message bubble we're currently using? Not sure how that would look.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Ah I get what your saying now. It isn't the chat bubble he is referring to its the "Contact us" link in the footer. It also uses the Image, same as the "Private messages" link in the nav bar, although it also has the same css class as the "Contact: Image" on the post profile. Both use icon-contact.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

There should not be a "lock". In browsers, that implies a secure (encrypted) connection, and PMs are not encrypted.

The image looks nice and all, but when reduced to the size of the current icons, I have to wonder how much detail anybody could fit in there. For that size, simpler is probably better.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

The Profile Contact: icon is an envelope but its inside a sprite image. It uses the contact-icon class.

Maybe we can try this for the contact.... Image ? An opened letter ready to be closed and sent to the admin/team?
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/android ... -icon.html
Mail-icon.png
Mail-icon.png (19.65 KiB) Viewed 10243 times

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

the current plan is to replace all icons with font-awsome so posting random images of icons is kind of point less. if you have a suggested icon from the font-awsome library then by all means. Currently I believe the icon we are looking at using is the inbox icon. checkout paybas's pbtech http://pbwow.com/forum theme for proposed icon replacements
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

hanakin wrote:the current plan is to replace all icons with font-awsome so posting random images of icons is kind of point less. if you have a suggested icon from the font-awsome library then by all means. Currently I believe the icon we are looking at using is the inbox icon. checkout paybas's pbtech http://pbwow.com/forum theme for proposed icon replacements
+1
Has an irascible disposition.