I think our current branch names are not very clear and meaningful to new or short term contributors and make it more difficult for them to address pull requests correctly. I just changed our default branch back to develop-ascraeus as a lot of bugfix PRs were accidentally made against develop although they were meant for 3.1.x. Currently we use the following branches:
- develop-olympus - Development version of 3.0.x
- develop-ascraeus - Development version of 3.1.x
- develop - Latest development version
- qa - contains the latest qa release, currently still on 3.0.x releases
- master - contains the latest stable release, currently still on 3.0.x releases
- qa-olympus - doesn't actually exist, but was supposed to be created once qa switched to 3.1
- master-olympus - doesn't actually exist, but was supposed to be created once master switched to 3.1
- 3.0.x - Development of version 3.0.x
- 3.1.x - Development of version 3.1.x
- master - Latest development version
If we consider it to be a problem to repurpose master that drastically, we could keep master around with a similar purpose to the current one and continue to use develop for the latest version. I would however prefer to switch it over fully.
Let me know what you think.