Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

Martian

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by Martian »

Darkness_demoN wrote:http://pbwow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... =20#p20235

There is a example of that you want. So i need to read what is writen on this post, than i need to go to TOP of the forum to read for what tihs post about than if i wana quote i need to go again to this post and press quote button ... With Topic title instead of number i will cnow what i need to cnow and i will press only quote button to reply.
Yup, that is one of the clear reasons why me and others like it when we can see the subject titles in the posts.

I don't know how much work it would be to make the display of the post subjects optionally in the admin CP and user CP, but that would be a solution that could satisfy both pro and con display of post subjects.

Note that it is already possible to set several display options, for example signatures and avatars, under "Board preferences" in the control panel.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

The title bar in the browser shows the title of the topic.

You decided to hide it? Well for you. But I don't understand why do you want to get rid of 1 instance of the title and then request to replace it with 20.
And what happens when the post is veeeery long. Are you going to navigate through it until you reach its end or its beginning?

Martian

Post by Martian »

Jacob wrote:The title bar in the browser shows the title of the topic.

You decided to hide it? Well for you. But I don't understand why do you want to get rid of 1 instance of the title and then request to replace it with 20.
I expected that someone would come with this argument. However, the truth is that many browsers on the various platforms (desktop, tablet, smartphone) don't have a prominent and always clearly and fully visible title bar. For example, I am currently using Firefox on a desktop, which has quite a limited room for the page title on the tabs, even less with 20 tabs open, which I currently have. The page title is truncated, it only shows "Repea...".

Further, there are all the other clear pro post subject arguments, which have been posted in this topic.

Jacob wrote:And what happens when the post is veeeery long. Are you going to navigate through it until you reach its end or its beginning?
I typically start reading a post from the top, where it shows the subject line. Besides, most posts aren't "veeeery" long, so it would be a rare surmountable problem anyhow.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

There is a example of that you want. So i need to read what is writen on this post, than i need to go to TOP of the forum to read for what tihs post about than if i wana quote i need to go again to this post and press quote button ... With Topic title instead of number i will cnow what i need to cnow and i will press only quote button to reply.
Actually, you would know what the topic is about BEFORE you clicked the link so there wouldn't be a need for you to scroll to the first post. Unless of course you're one of those people that randomly click links for the heck of it. If you are, then keep your anti-virus up-to-date ;)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

keith10456 wrote:

Actually, you would know what the topic is about BEFORE you clicked the link so there wouldn't be a need for you to scroll to the first post. Unless of course you're one of those people that randomly click links for the heck of it. If you are, then keep your anti-virus up-to-date ;)
Or if you're one of those users that likes to click on various links for topics to open up in various tabs to review as you finish each one? Using the new "last post" feature skips the topic title entirely and takes you directly to the post.

Also for those saying that it shows up in the title of the browser well the topic titles (plus site title and view topic prefix) are typically too long to show up in a tab, which is where it will show up on tablets, if at all, and on some desktop browsers it will show up in the browser title. On a cellphone you wouldn't see it at all.

The debate here is so split that the route it all seems to be going is for either another setting in the ACP or an event where the post title goes so that one can do whatever they want to it through an extension.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

DavidIQ wrote:
keith10456 wrote:

Or if you're one of those users that likes to click on various links for topics to open up in various tabs to review as you finish each one? Using the new "last post" feature skips the topic title entirely and takes you directly to the post.

Also for those saying that it shows up in the title of the browser well the topic titles (plus site title and view topic prefix) are typically too long to show up in a tab, which is where it will show up on tablets, if at all, and on some desktop browsers it will show up in the browser title. On a cellphone you wouldn't see it at all.
My point being, nobody (well those that aware of how dangerous the Internet is) don't just click a link. They're already reading a topic, article, etc in which a link is provided... Then they click the link for further reading, viewing, etc.

That said, the person would know what the subject matter is about BEFORE they click the link so they won't have to scroll to the top of the top just for the Title.
DavidIQ wrote:The debate here is so split that the route it all seems to be going is for either another setting in the ACP or an event where the post title goes so that one can do whatever they want to it through an extension.
I agree ;)

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

keith10456 wrote:My point being, nobody (well those that aware of how dangerous the Internet is) don't just click a link. They're already reading a topic, article, etc in which a link is provided... Then they click the link for further reading, viewing, etc.

That said, the person would know what the subject matter is about BEFORE they click the link so they won't have to scroll to the top of the top just for the Title.
I think you missed the point. If I'm looking through a forum and want to read through a particular list of topics, say support requests or bug report responses, I would middle click on each last post icon and have a separate tab open for each one so I would go through each. I highly doubt that anyone would have such a memory that one would know what each topic title is for each of the various topics opened in that situation especially since the page would have focused on the last reply. ;)

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@Pony99CA, Whom are those many people?
Those lists were written by two users(keith and hanakin) that agree it it should be removed. The Pro removal list of reasons is much more longer than the few silly reasons that say it shouldnt be changed. You only debated to the lists with your own reasons why it shouldnt be removed and i dont find your "reasons" valid. You just wrote a lot with little relevance.

Are you becoming really so blind....? Dont you see the IF word in the front ? I said if we all agree, not that we've all agreed.

I dont understand what is the issue with the last_post feature. Nobody said the last post feature should be removed. Changing/removing the post_subjects do not have to affect them. They can stay the same as they are with only the main topic title(makes no difference) or the last post titles can be replaced with dates like it is already done on a few forum softwares.

I wish we'd all agree to change the post_titles like PayBas has done in his style :)
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I wish we'd all agree to change the post_titles like PayBas has done in his style :)
That's actually a perfect example of why it's not necessarily a "great" idea. Here you go for your viewing pleasure:
2014-08-28 19.11.53.png
No post title viewed on a mobile device
(328.36 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
That's what shows up when clicking on that link on my mobile phone. I now have no idea what that topic is about. Could it be about numeric sequences? :geek:

Also, since I was the one who brought it up, I didn't say anything about having a problem with the last post feature. I said that using the last post feature and not showing the post title, what you're suggesting, will have the side effect of the user not knowing what topic they're on, as I hope I've now very clearly shown with my attachment.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I still cannot understand what you mean. I see nothing wrong in that screenshot. The Topic title is always shown at the very top of the topic you are viewing. right under the navigation panel, where the Board index link is.

Oh, okay. i guess i understand what you are saying now. The user may be too lazy to scroll up at the top of the page to see the topic title. :lol:
If the user doesnt know the topic title and they havent bothered to read the first post that started all that discussion, then they shouldnt be bothering to read the very last post.......

When the page loads, you can scroll up very fast with your mouse or on a touch pad/mobile, you can scroll up just with a fast finger swing....
Really cant see a problem with this.

Dont smartphones have an option to roll over an area to display the full site title ?
Previous user: TheKiller