PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
EXreaction

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by EXreaction »

We wish to be able to render custom bbcodes. CKEditor not supporting this is one of the reasons we choose to not use it.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

EXreaction wrote:We wish to be able to render custom bbcodes. CKEditor not supporting this is one of the reasons we choose to not use it.
i dont like render custom bbcode because some bbcodes have complex codes so not need to do that.

remove the custom bbcode after rendering is a big problem.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Is it an option to choose to render them or are all of the custom ones not renderable? We want it to be an option so that simple custom bbcodes (like bold) are renderable, while complex ones are not. We want to move all bbcodes to custom ones eventually.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Sorry for keeping silent here. I, for some reason, lost the e-mail about this topic and so I think this was sleeping. Sorry about that.
Back to the topic:
Master_Cylinder wrote:As complicated as this is, I imagine the bloat could be substantial but I could be wrong about that. Either way a large number of admins don't want wysisyg and most posts are simple text so I still think this would be better as an official extension. Not that I have a choice or a say in the matter. ;)
The idea so far is as follows:
  1. The new editor completely replaces phpBB's editor. I.e., the current buttons above the textarea will be a goner.
  2. The new editor editor will has a mode where no bloat related to WYSIWYG is loaded or processed if not necessary.
  3. The new editor has a mode which is a superset of the current phpBB editor.
    That means that all is made such that, if nothing is made, the experience the user has is the same as in phpBB (just the buttons have a slightly different placement)
  4. The new editor will store the mode that it was in (WYSIWYG or source code) when the form is submitted in the browser. Whether there will be an option in the UCP to select is still open.
  5. The new editor allows different ways of displaying the buttons. For now, I will default to text only but it has text only, icon + text and icon and the user should be easily able to switch (unless it is the style author the one responsible for selecting one of them).
  6. It's part of the project to allow flexibility on how the information is displayed in the editor. It's up for the BBCode author to decide if it behaves as a mere RTE or if it behaves as a real WYSIWYG for each individual BBCode.
  7. The most robust editor so far is SCE
For all the information about the decision, look back in the topic

By making the 3rd and the 4th reality, I'm sure that we can really get rid of phpBB's current editor. BUT, after making some tests, if you want the buttons back, I'm OK to bring them back. I do still think that we seriously don't need the current editor anymore after that adaptation.

@EXreaction SCE is still open, right? I have already spent quite a lot of my time to prepare it for phpBB... I don't want to repeat the same story as for the BBCode parser, the new permission (and some others that were outright rejected that cost me many hours preparing and developing).
Last edited by brunoais on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I'm not a dev so I can't speak about the backend aspect but from what I see from the link you provided it looks great!

No need for the old buttons as far as I can see. Most members didn't know what they were for anyway!

I think the default should be icon only (as displayed in the provided link).

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

brunoais wrote: 7.The most robust editor so far is SCE[/list]
It looks nice :) I will be happy to try it in phpbb :)

Mr.Ze

Post by Mr.Ze »

EXreaction wrote:Please try to stay civil about this. The development team has already made their decision to try and include a WYSIWYG editor in 3.2. We've already taken into consideration the discussions brought up here (and so we will have the option to disable it if you do not wish to use it).

Remember, if you want to affect a decision, you have to appeal to the development team, arguing with other community members really doesn't benefit anyone involved. I would say to argue against development team members, but do so respectfully please. ;)
So this won't be featured in 3.1 at all? It would really be nice, and if someone doesn't want it, an option to disable/enable it on ACP would do the job.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary BBCode use.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm working on the event places to make this available on 3.1 as an extension. It is also going slow because I've been sick.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

brunoais wrote:I'm working on the event places to make this available on 3.1 as an extension. It is also going slow because I've been sick.
Sorry to hear about the sickness :(

Thanks for working on this ;)

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Mr.Ze wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Please try to stay civil about this. The development team has already made their decision to try and include a WYSIWYG editor in 3.2. We've already taken into consideration the discussions brought up here (and so we will have the option to disable it if you do not wish to use it).

Remember, if you want to affect a decision, you have to appeal to the development team, arguing with other community members really doesn't benefit anyone involved. I would say to argue against development team members, but do so respectfully please. ;)
So this won't be featured in 3.1 at all? It would really be nice, and if someone doesn't want it, an option to disable/enable it on ACP would do the job.
3.1 is almost out, would be super to see this as an extension though for 3.1 :)
-Jonah