[Define New Theme] 5. NEW Theme creation should happen in its own repo to be merged upon completion!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [Define New Theme] 5. Theme should be managed as its own project

Post by Nicofuma »

hanakin wrote: 2. The current method of tracking the development and progression of the theme is diluted in the confines of the entire projects scope. It is not easy to only see/track changes,bugs,issues only related to the HTML/CSS/JS layer
https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=12093
hanakin wrote: 3. Their are several resources that are required for development on the front-side that we may not want to ship but should be maintained within the confines of the theme. Add these to the already complex directory structure of phpbb along with a more suited development break-out of content and your file base can become astronomical.
It's really easy to not include given files or directory in the release package. Hundred of files are already handled like that.
hanakin wrote: 4. Currently if their is a bug or issue with the theme that might be an easy fix we have to either wait for a completely new release of phpbb to publish said fix. When dealing with the front-end these can pile up fairly quickly.
Because you really think that you will release a new version of the style (and so notify all of the users) for each fix? Like for all projects you will wait and realease a unique release periodically.
hanakin wrote: 5. A change that only affects the front-end with no changes to the back-end is not easily understood for those testing/developing since they usually get merge with unrelated merges of back-end changes.
You should have a look to prototech PR, and give recent examples please.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Nicofuma wrote:
hanakin wrote: 2. The current method of tracking the development and progression of the theme is diluted in the confines of the entire projects scope. It is not easy to only see/track changes,bugs,issues only related to the HTML/CSS/JS layer
says its private
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Fixed
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Nicofuma wrote:
hanakin wrote: 3. Their are several resources that are required for development on the front-side that we may not want to ship but should be maintained within the confines of the theme. Add these to the already complex directory structure of phpbb along with a more suited development break-out of content and your file base can become astronomical.
It's really easy to not include given files or directory in the release package. Hundred of files are already handled like that.
hanakin wrote: 4. Currently if their is a bug or issue with the theme that might be an easy fix we have to either wait for a completely new release of phpbb to publish said fix. When dealing with the front-end these can pile up fairly quickly.
Because you really think that you will release a new version of the style (and so notify all of the users) for each fix? Like for all projects you will wait and realease a unique release periodically.
hanakin wrote: 5. A change that only affects the front-end with no changes to the back-end is not easily understood for those testing/developing since they usually get merge with unrelated merges of back-end changes.
You should have a look to prototech PR, and give recent examples please.
I guess I can concede based on this I was unaware of some of this thanks for clarifying. However I will for the initial development maintain separately and then submit as a patch.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 5. NEW Theme creation should happen in its own repo to be merged upon completion!

Post by hanakin »

I have re-purposed this post and updated the original proposal! Basically the theme should be maintained as its own repo and released as a style prior to being merged into phpBB core.

keith10456

Re: [Define New Theme] 5. NEW Theme creation should happen in its own repo to be merged upon completion!

Post by keith10456 »

hanakin wrote:I have re-purposed this post and updated the original proposal! Basically the theme should be maintained as its own repo and released as a style prior to being merged into phpBB core.
In opposition to my original response, if this will help get the phpBB theme up to speed and more modern then I'm all for it.

+1

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:I have re-purposed this post and updated the original proposal! Basically the theme should be maintained as its own repo and released as a style prior to being merged into phpBB core.
If you do that, why would it ever be "merged into [the] phpBB core". The style would be independent of the core, wouldn't it?

You might add the default style to the phpBB distribution package, but I don't think that you'd merge it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@Pony99CA it would be merged and maintained with core as per earlier discussions as it stands right now it may change by the time a new theme is finished but doubtful.