Smiley and Whos Onlike pop-up boxes are making styling difficult

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mrgtb

Smiley and Whos Onlike pop-up boxes are making styling difficult

Post by mrgtb »

It's good that you changed the prosilver style to have a forum border with rounded corners, leaving you to now be little more creative working on styling the page body background behind it. But I've noticed both smiley and Who Online (IP checking) pop-up boxes are making things difficult. Reason being, both pop-up boxes are only small in height and use same background class as forum.

Code: Select all

html, body {
	color: #536482;
	background-color: #F5F7FA;
}
If I wanted to add an image for body background. Using something like this:

Code: Select all

html, body {
	color: #536482;
	background: #F5F7FA url("./images/bg_body.gif") repeat-x;
}
And lets say the image used puts a blue border along top of forum page (body background) that's 1px X 250px in height. That blue border would fill the whole background for those small pop-up boxes because they ain't 250px in height. Well one isn't, while the other it would still fill most of the pop-up box with it now having a blue background. Whereas the forum would show that blue as a top border on page body.

Making it worse, you have the title text for those pop-up boxes (at the top) displayed on body background as (dark text). So even that can hardly been read with a blue (or any dark) background behind it.

As you can see here (taken from my site). I have had to "on purpose" use a light background image that doesn't add a border effect to suit the smiley box
www.jpg
(76.42 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Now look what happens if I put a top background page border
ddd.jpg
(73.82 KiB) Downloaded 970 times
Last edited by mrgtb on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Smiley and Whos Onlike pop-up boxes are making styling difficult

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

IMO this is simply a bug for the tracker and should not require significant discussion...
A_Jelly_Doughnut

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Seeing as you think this is a bug I've stuck it in tracker.

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12862

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

this could be handled a lot better IMO not a popup. similar to the confirmation dialouges
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

hanakin wrote:this could be handled a lot better IMO not a popup. similar to the confirmation dialouges
Please explain...

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

keith10456 wrote:
hanakin wrote:this could be handled a lot better IMO not a popup. similar to the confirmation dialouges
Please explain...
A modal instead of a popup. But not like confirmation dialogs... more like the BBVideo modal in my ABBC3 extension :)
Has an irascible disposition.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I guess you could keep the pop-up boxes but have them not grab the same "html, body" background css as forum. Give them their own background body class, so adding a forum background image wouldn't be grabbed into pop-up boxes also.

Just one idea, but not sure if best one.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

VSE wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
Please explain...
A modal instead of a popup. But not like confirmation dialogs... more like the BBVideo modal in my ABBC3 extension :)
Keep in mind it's not only the smiley popup box affected by this, but also the "Whos Is Online" IP Checking popup box as well. If it was just the smiley one, you could probably think of various other ways of displaying extra smilies quite easy to solve the problem without needing a popup box, but more awkward I'm guessing with the IP checking popup box used from Who Is Online page.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

BUMP!

Hmm, is this ever going to get fixed? I reported it in tracker 2 weeks ago and nobody assigned to it yet.

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

mrgtb wrote:BUMP!

Hmm, is this ever going to get fixed? I reported it in tracker 2 weeks ago and nobody assigned to it yet.
Be patient friend. ;)
The team has plenty of work.
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*