FAQ Manager

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
PayBas

Re: FAQ Manager

Post by PayBas »

Might be a long shot, but here goes.

If we are getting an official phpBB extension at some point between 3.1 and 3.2 which handles custom pages, we might be able to integrate it into the core for 3.2.

Then we might be able to do away with faq.php altogether, and just have a predefined FAQ page for app.php custom pages. We would need to make sure that it supports multiple languages, but it saves us the trouble of having to design a FAQ editor, when we can just have a way more multifunctional page editor. ;)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

PayBas wrote:Might be a long shot, but here goes.

If we are getting an official phpBB extension at some point between 3.1 and 3.2 which handles custom pages, we might be able to integrate it into the core for 3.2.

Then we might be able to do away with faq.php altogether, and just have a predefined FAQ page for app.php custom pages. We would need to make sure that it supports multiple languages, but it saves us the trouble of having to design a FAQ editor, when we can just have a way more multifunctional page editor. ;)
It's actually rather easy/non-complex. It just requires an acp module to manage pages. Pages can be stored in 1 table in the database, dynamically loaded routes in another table which will detail the route and page id. Then when a page is requested on the front controller, it will check normal routes, then check dynamic routes, if it hits a static page, load it from the pages table, parse any bbcode (or restricted html [By this i mean we white list certain html] and throw out a page.

What your suggesting (with the faq page) would require restricted html (or lots of custom bbcodes) due to anchors, div tags etc. I don't think we want to allow open HTML, only restricted...

http://symfony.com/doc/current/cookbook ... tom-loader <- Dynamically loaded routes. Match routes in routes table after static config files. Send all to one controller which then checks the URI requested and loads the appropriate page.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

MichaelC wrote:
PayBas wrote:Might be a long shot, but here goes.

It's actually rather easy/non-complex. It just requires an acp module to manage pages. Pages can be stored in 1 table in the database, dynamically loaded routes in another table which will detail the route and page id. Then when a page is requested on the front controller, it will check normal routes, then check dynamic routes, if it hits a static page, load it from the pages table, parse any bbcode (or restricted html [By this i mean we white list certain html] and throw out a page.

What your suggesting (with the faq page) would require restricted html (or lots of custom bbcodes) due to anchors, div tags etc. I don't think we want to allow open HTML, only restricted...

http://symfony.com/doc/current/cookbook ... tom-loader <- Dynamically loaded routes. Match routes in routes table after static config files. Send all to one controller which then checks the URI requested and loads the appropriate page.
Very good news from both of you (PayBas/MichaelC)... I know we're using "ifs" but I'm still getting excited :D

mrgtb

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by mrgtb »

Jacob wrote:I don't really think that many people would benefit from this. Nobody reads the FAQ, anyway. :P

Better as an extension, in my opinion.
Was just thinking same. Pretty useless and many other things could be worked on "much more useful". Who the heck reads FAQ on a forum unless your seriously bored.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by MichaelC »

mrgtb wrote:
Jacob wrote:I don't really think that many people would benefit from this. Nobody reads the FAQ, anyway. :P

Better as an extension, in my opinion.
Was just thinking same. Pretty useless and many other things could be worked on "much more useful". Who the heck reads FAQ on a forum unless your seriously bored.
People who might not understand how parts of the forum work or what some terminology means.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I'd much sooner see something far more useful like Custom Pages get added in core (rather than being an extension), than seeing adding custom FAQ in core that nobody is really interested in reading. XenForo, that funny enough has recently posted they're adding option to add custom FAQ in XenForo 1.4 (coming soon), but the response has been same, why that? Nobody bothers with it.

FAQ, it must be one the main areas on a forum that hardly get read (apart from spider bots visiting it). And I'll bet the only reason XenForo are doing it anyway... is because they "themselves" can use it to start storing FAQ about using their forum software (FAQ guides) getting listed in it. They've done it mainly more for themselves to use.

I'm not against it being added, something is better than nothing... but not at the expense of something far more useful being added as a extension (Custom Pages). Should be other way around, FAQ being an extension.