What is the future of phpBB????

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Profo

Re: What is the future of phpBB????

Post by Profo »

IMHO there are be much better options than Joomla from an integration point of view. Drupal would be my first choice at the moment, but it's just a personal preference and things change from time to time.
I don't see kunena as a threat to phpBB either. By usage statistics, I think SMF or even bbPress and MyBB are closer to phpBB in this matter.
Paid/premium solutions like XF, IPB or VB can be a good source for specific improvements and ideas. But they are all playing a different league, so I can't see them as threats to phpBB either.

Anyway, going the "CMS path" would be one of the worst things that could happen to phpBB.
If you need a free completely scalable solution (CMS+ forum + whatever) you have a lot of better options: Powerful CMSs (like Drupal, WordPress or Joomla) and Frameworks (like Laravel, Symphony, Codeigniter, etc).
I don't find so many options when I need a free and powerful forum-only solution.

florizel

Post by florizel »

Agree! CMS is mostly use in blogs, news and shopping. Forum is another thing.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Profo wrote:...Anyway, going the "CMS path" would be one of the worst things that could happen to phpBB.
If you need a free completely scalable solution (CMS+ forum + whatever) you have a lot of better options: Powerful CMSs (like Drupal, WordPress or Joomla) and Frameworks (like Laravel, Symphony, Codeigniter, etc).
Though I don't see it happening anytime soon (if ever) but I disagree with you.

The development team/community at phpBB is really good and if (again, I don't see this happening) they decided to go that route I think it would be great. Especially when you consider the awesome mods/ext that are available for phpBB.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

keith10456 wrote:
Profo wrote:...Anyway, going the "CMS path" would be one of the worst things that could happen to phpBB.
Though I don't see it happening anytime soon (if ever) but I disagree with you.

The development team/community at phpBB is really good and if (again, I don't see this happening) they decided to go that route I think it would be great. Especially when you consider the awesome mods/ext that are available for phpBB.
negative as Profo has stated their are better options available as a CMS, none of the ones he pointed out but plenty checkout https://www.pyrocms.com/ when you get a chance ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Profo

Post by Profo »

keith10456 wrote:The development team/community at phpBB is really good and if (again, I don't see this happening) they decided to go that route I think it would be great.
Sure! I didn't mean the developers are bad.
But I (and a lot more phpBB users IMO) wouldn't like phpBB as much as I do now if it became a CMS-forum-hybrid like VB, IcyPhoenix and the like.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Speaking of CMS systems, we have a poll open for the next official extension for phpBB to be written by the Extension Development Team and "Pages" (will probably be similar to what WordPress does for pages) is an option. ;)
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2252451

Good integration of two independent projects just generally doesn't happen because it's not easy and tends to be a lot of modification of code. The integration is so dependent on what the end use case is that a single project to "integrate" the two generally won't work that well. Plus the "experts" in both platforms tend to not work together, so the ones putting things together tend to only really know how the software they're familiar with works...

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

@ EXreaction - Thanks for sharing the link. The "Pages" option is just what I was looking for. And judging from the poll results, so is large portion of the community.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:@ EXreaction - Thanks for sharing the link. The "Pages" option is just what I was looking for. And judging from the poll results, so is large portion of the community.
Actually, that's a very small portion of the "community". The community is tens of thousands (or more) of users, so 100+ votes is less than 1%. ;)

It's a large portion of voters (but not a majority), but AutoGroups also has a large portion. In fact, until Ex linked to that topic, AutoGroups was leading by about 10 votes. If they do this like primary elections in the U.S., there should be a run-off between Pages and AutoGroups. :D

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:@ EXreaction - Thanks for sharing the link. The "Pages" option is just what I was looking for. And judging from the poll results, so is large portion of the community.
Actually, that's a very small portion of the "community". The community is tens of thousands (or more) of users, so 100+ votes is less than 1%. ;)

It's a large portion of voters (but not a majority), but AutoGroups also has a large portion. In fact, until Ex linked to that topic, AutoGroups was leading by about 10 votes. If they do this like primary elections in the U.S., there should be a run-off between Pages and AutoGroups. :D

Steve
If it was like primary elections Pages would... It's a 9 point lead (so far). No run-off when one wins by 9 percentage points ;)

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

This isn't a contest. :roll: I'd venture to guess that the poll is just a way of gauging what the community is looking for as an official extension. For example (and this is just me speaking), if Auto Groups was much simpler to code than Pages, I'd create Auto Groups first to get it done and out of the way, regardless of whether or not Pages received more votes by "9 percentage points".