Quick Links

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
John P

Re: Quick Links

Post by John P »

Oei oei they are in common.php

rxu

Post by rxu »

Unlike for 3.0, with 3.1 quicklinks predefined search links are available on every page. So I wonder if they still should point to the whole board or it will be more usable to limit tham by forum/topic user currently browsing.
Example (to be more clear): when you're browsing f=ID, clicking on any of quicklink would display your/new/unread/unanswered posts limited to this forum ID. Currently you can do it manually by adding &fid[]=ID to the search URL.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

rxu wrote:Unlike for 3.0, with 3.1 quicklinks predefined search links are available on every page. So I wonder if they still should point to the whole board or it will be more usable to limit tham by forum/topic user currently browsing.
Example (to be more clear): when you're browsing f=ID, clicking on any of quicklink would display your/new/unread/unanswered posts limited to this forum ID. Currently you can do it manually by adding &fid[]=ID to the search URL.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:
rxu wrote:Unlike for 3.0, with 3.1 quicklinks predefined search links are available on every page. So I wonder if they still should point to the whole board or it will be more usable to limit tham by forum/topic user currently browsing.
RANT: Nothing personal against Keith, but I really hate when people post -1 without stating why. It's not quite as bad for +1 because the reasons for doing something are usually listed in the post being "voted" on, but -1 with no explanation seems a bit rude (like your child saying "Can I go to the store with you?" and getting a reply of "No" without explanation). Are people really so busy that they can only type two characters?

Anyway, I was wondering the same thing as rxu. View Your Posts used to be on every page and it always showed all of your posts, so that probably shouldn't change, but the other Quick LInks only appeared on the Board Index and it made sense for them to be board-wide there, but what about now? If this suggestion were implemented and you wanted to see all of the New Posts or Unanswered Posts, you could click Board Index and then use Quick Links. (And, given how easy it is to go board-wide, maybe even "Your Posts" should be context-sensitive).

So I'll give this a +1 and have Your Posts be context-sensitive, too.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
RANT: Nothing personal against Keith, but I really hate when people post -1 without stating why. It's not quite as bad for +1 because the reasons for doing something are usually listed in the post being "voted" on, but -1 with no explanation seems a bit rude (like your child saying "Can I go to the store with you?" and getting a reply of "No" without explanation). Are people really so busy that they can only type two characters?

Anyway, I was wondering the same thing as rxu. View Your Posts used to be on every page and it always showed all of your posts, so that probably shouldn't change, but the other Quick LInks only appeared on the Board Index and it made sense for them to be board-wide there, but what about now? If this suggestion were implemented and you wanted to see all of the New Posts or Unanswered Posts, you could click Board Index and then use Quick Links. (And, given how easy it is to go board-wide, maybe even "Your Posts" should be context-sensitive).

Steve
-1 because because when someone sees or click "Unanswered posts", etc, they are going to assume and expect that clicking the link will result in the display of all unanswered posts, not just limited to the board that they're in.

To have to go back to the board index just to view all "New posts", etc. is annoying... It's one of the things that I personally disliked about how it used to be.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Agree with Keith. The way things are moving forward is through 'Easy access' to things, if those links were limited to an area which is being viewed then it's, well, it's limited. Much better to have one result set returned for the searches such as 'View your posts' IMO.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Displaying the list of Quick Links while hovering would be good, in my opinion. One of the few times in wich hover effect is called for. The Quick Links text and icon are small, so there is no danger in getting the list displayed when you're searching for the board index of the FAQ (no one is going to click on the FAQ, anyway) or someplace in the header.

I don't know if the discussion about this took place in another topic but I suposse it's ok to say this here. (My english is rusty, sorry.)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

keith10456 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:

-1 because because when someone sees or click "Unanswered posts", etc, they are going to assume and expect that clicking the link will result in the display of all unanswered posts, not just limited to the board that they're in.
There is a precedent for this with "Who Is Online", which only shows people online in the forum you're in.

Consider the scenario where a board is a general automobile board with forums like Ford, Chevy, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. If I only like Fords, and am in the Ford forum, why would I want to see new posts in the other forums? I think that limiting the results in the forum makes sense
keith10456 wrote:To have to go back to the board index just to view all "New posts", etc. is annoying... It's one of the things that I personally disliked about how it used to be.
But that's exactly what people are used to doing now. The Quick Links are new in the forum and topic views, so it's hard to say what users would expect -- all results or results constrained to the current forum.

In my opinion, both actions make sense, but there's no easy way to get the limited view (you can't do it on the Search page and modifying the URL is not "easy"); there is an easy way to get the full view -- go to the Board Index which is always one click away. Because of that, I think that the Quick Links searches on forum pages should be constrained to the forum.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.