Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

Dragosvr92

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@PayBas, that looks good. It will need a little getting to use with the missing by USER_NAME" text. But it looks better.
@keith10456, the moderator log mentions when a post was moved from a topic. But it doesnt mention from which topic its been moved from.
Attachments
moving posts.PNG
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
Previous user: TheKiller

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

As a normal registered user I want to be able to see the post titles too.

If some merging went on, I want to be able to distinguish the different discussion flows.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Dragosvr92 wrote:@keith10456, the moderator log mentions when a post was moved from a topic. But it doesnt mention from which topic its been moved from.
Yeah... That's while I stated that it could be added.
Louis7777 wrote:As a normal registered user I want to be able to see the post titles too.

If some merging went on, I want to be able to distinguish the different discussion flows.
Well the purpose of merging the topics is the discussions are similar and they belong in one topic. That being said, as a register user the discussion would flow fine without the topic titles because everything (the discussions) would be relevant.

If you're stating that we should continue to have unnecessary topic titles in each post so that you as a user can distinguish "if" a topic was merged then I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Dragosvr92 wrote:@keith10456, the moderator log mentions when a post was moved from a topic. But it doesnt mention from which topic its been moved from.
Yeah... That's while I stated that it could be added.
Louis7777 wrote:As a normal registered user I want to be able to see the post titles too.

Well the purpose of merging the topics is the discussions are similar and they belong in one topic. That being said, as a register user the discussion would flow fine without the topic titles because everything (the discussions) would be relevant.

If you're stating that we should continue to have unnecessary topic titles in each post so that you as a user can distinguish "if" - by some chance - a topic was merged then I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Pony99CA

Re: Reasons To Keep The Subject (ADDED BACK!)

Post by Pony99CA »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Im only using forums since 2008 and i've never bothered to change titles.
Good for you. I have used it and don't mind it. For you, it's just another "feature" of phpBB that you don't use. I have a lot of features that I don't use (Jabber support, for example), but I don't advocate removing them because somebody probably does.

Unless you can provide a good reason for removing them, they should stay. I've provided what I think is a good reason for keeping them as has DavidIQ. Also people certainly aren't unanimous about getting rid of them.
Dragosvr92 wrote:Nobody said its being confusing to have two titles. So dont attempt to mock and put words in our mouths ;)
You're the one putting words in my mouth. What about mrgtb's response:
And you only end up with a new thread title and posts all showing a different thread title because they still show different titles from other topics they got merged from originally. Rather confusing to say the least for people reading the new topic.
I underlined the relevant words so that you'll notice them this time.

Also, I could argue that Keith's response implied that it was confusing:
Reasons For Removing:

• It adds unnecessary difficulty to following thread (with it added)
I know that "unnecessary difficulty" and "confusing" aren't necessarily the same thing, but it could easily be interpreted that way.

As you can see, I wasn't putting words in anybody's mouth nor was I mocking anybody (until now :P), so stop accusing people of things that they weren't doing.

This should be an extension, not a change made to the core.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I did a quick re-read of all of the posts in this topic and below is a summary of the arguments that were made.

In "Keep": for 1 see N, for 2 see M, 4 isn't true, for 6 see J, 7 wouldn't change if removed, 8 is a personal use case, and 9 is a "on the off chance"...

Reasons For Keeping
  • 1 - It's always been there
    2 - Dev time spent removing it
    3 - It's conceivable that someone uses phpbb in a way that uses topic titles for organization
    4 - There may be search engine benefit
    5 - Semantic structure
    6 - Helps to track where the posts came from (moderation/members)
    7 - Want to link to a certain post in a topic
    8 - When opening individual subtopics in new tabs they have the title
    9 - Possibility of having 2 different titles and members can argue/search per title

Reasons For Removing
  • A - Repeating same text over and over unnecessarily
    B - Enlarges database with unnecessary text
    C - Easier to read without the unnecessary text
    D - Other message boards removed it
    E - No search engine benefit
    F - Moderating posts more user friendly in general with it not being there
    G - Simplifies the posting display
    H - Moving a post won't suffer from "cut off" due to titles being too long (RE:)
    I - Doesn't read correctly when all post have one title then suddenly a completely different title when its about the same subject
    J - Doesn't help track where posts came from if subtitle was changed... Could also add "moved from" info to admin/moderator log
    K - Would still be able to link to individual posts
    L - Members hardly ever change the topic title
    M - Could simply remove from viewtopic_body and add work-around for merged topics
    N - Though it's always been there things change for the better, 3.1 is the time

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

One other design function of the Post title is to provide some headroom at the top for those post edit/report/quote buttons. Remove the title, and the remaining author/date line is just too small to accommodate the height of the post buttons on the right and prevent them from flowing into the post text area.
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 10.26.05 PM.png
(67.06 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Also, it looks pretty weak/bland without the title there too, meaning removing it would really warrant a more intensive redesign of the area affected :?
Personally I prefer the logic of having the title represented, followed by the author and date. removing it, and it makes less sense to only say "by author >> date"...

I think its better to keep it. Let custom styles remove it if they think it looks better for their style. Just my humble opinion. :roll:
Has an irascible disposition.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

VSE wrote:One other design function of the Post title is to provide some headroom at the top for those post edit/report/quote buttons. Remove the title, and the remaining author/date line is just too small to accommodate the height of the post buttons on the right and prevent them from flowing into the post text area.
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 10.26.05 PM.png
Also, it looks pretty weak/bland without the title there too, meaning removing it would really warrant a more intensive redesign of the area affected :?
Personally I prefer the logic of having the title represented, followed by the author and date. removing it, and it makes less sense to only say "by author >> date"...

I think its better to keep it. Let custom styles remove it if they think it looks better for their style. Just my humble opinion. :roll:
To be fair, this isn't really a valid argument. Nobody is seriously saying to just remove the <h3>, and call it a day ;). Of course we would give the post-header a little make-over.

I think I addressed some of your concerns here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=45797&start=50#p266383

We don't need the "By PayBas" either. It has no benefit afaik.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

There is an event core.viewtopic_modify_post_row
If you don't want it to display the default title, do the following in your extension:

Code: Select all

if ('Re: ' . $topic_data['topic_title'] === $row['post_subject'])
{
	$post_row['POST_SUBJECT'] = '';
}
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

nickvergessen wrote:There is an event core.viewtopic_modify_post_row
If you don't want it to display the default title, do the following in your extension:

Code: Select all

if ('Re: ' . $topic_data['topic_title'] === $row['post_subject'])
{
	$post_row['POST_SUBJECT'] = '';
}
Perfect... :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol: