[RFC|Accepted] Updated BBcode engine

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Meis2M

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Updated BBcode engine

Post by Meis2M »

if it is complete so why not merge into 3.1 ? :D

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

EXreaction wrote:As far as I know, it is complete.
It is in the sense that you can checkout my branch and not notice any loss of functionality. It's a "complete" replacement, and I try to pull changes from develop at least a couple of times a month to prevent bitrot too.

As a feature, I will consider it complete when phpBB will be able to fully exploit the library.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Meis2M wrote:if it is complete so why not merge into 3.1 ? :D
Because we want to get 3.1 finished and not restart into the cycle of development which we do all the time which is always delaying stuff.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Meis2M wrote:if it is complete so why not merge into 3.1 ? :D
Because we want to keep 3.1 stable and get it finished, large changes take a long time to review and typically do introduce some major bugs and result in delaying 3.1 even more.

I plan on reviewing this to merge into the 3.2 branch as soon as it's created.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

EXreaction wrote:I plan on reviewing this to merge into the 3.2 branch as soon as it's created.
In that case let's create it, as we were simply waiting on something that we wanted to merge into it to create it.

rfdy

Post by rfdy »

I'm late to this thread, but will the new BBCode parser allow extensions to define custom codes? Currently only simple search/replace type codes can be added through the ACP, but for more complicated codes where a callback function is needed, this approach doesn't work.

For example, if I want an extension that augments the current quote functionality, it'd mean removing the quote bbcode from the list (ie. $this->bbcodes in bbcode_firstpass class), with our own custom rule with a different callback.

Will that be possible with the new parser??

Thanks!

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Yes.
To be more precise, all BBCodes will be moved to custom BBCodes with the new parser.