[RFC] Index tabbed

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
PayBas

Re: [RFC] Index tabbed

Post by PayBas »

hanakin wrote:I understand that, I am not suggesting using this specific styling this was just an example that I had lying around. I am just suggesting that content could be better broken up in order to facilitate. IE legend should be its own section instead of grouped with online and the stats section can be used to hide show or navigate to content instead of tabs which I am not a fan of. The order would alos change to stats, online, legend, birthday
I understand what you meant, but what I meant was that proSilver 3.1 already has more clearly defined blocks (with wrapping elements), so it will be relatively easy to separate everything as much as you want. https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2211/files

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I guess I missed that one nice I guess the real issue I am still having then is the language variables.

{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST} split out like the legend variable was ie: {L_REGISTERED}{L_COLON} {LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST} for one.

Then I never really understood or liked the way that phpbb handled variables for templating. They combine them with content variables which I feel is too intrusive. I would rather have clearly defined language variable and clearly defined content variable in DB that I can easily grab with some sort of templating pointer

{TOTAL_USERS} = "Total Users"
{$user_count} = the user count from the database or globals or something like that and allow and use them in the theme itself.

{TOTAL_USERS}: {$user_count} = Total Users: 2356
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Isn't this clearly separated by the L_ prefix?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Maybe that is the intent but it's not really explicit or fully implemented cleanly. The whole system to me is to verbose. I would rather have it be flat single file DBS that are parsed at render.

Ie 1 language file and store it as yaml or JSON for each language and parse this out using some unique template scheme like {{L:Name}}

As for the none textual vars these also need to contained in a class that sets and gets them as needed based on the page calls rather than in the php renders themselves
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I think we're getting way way off-topic.