Alter Last Post layout

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
5hocK

Alter Last Post layout

Post by 5hocK »

Alot of forums tend to use just the one line for a description of a forum which now leaves a white space underneath
gap.png
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
If the Last post area was widened (plenty of space in the middle) and the layout altered slightly the space wouldn't have to be there.
eg:
gap2.png
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
No biggie, just more aesthetically pleasing

Master_Cylinder

Re: Alter Last Post layout

Post by Master_Cylinder »

What if the username is long? I'd rather have a narrow last post layout with 3 lines than a wider one with 2. That leaves more room for topic titles and descriptions which is more important, imho.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The better solution would be to have the forum name/description text be vertically centered, like the icon to its left.
Has an irascible disposition.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

+1

The width of the category column (to the right of the topics column) is way too wide on a 3.1 board in general (like my own test board). The last post column is not wide enough - it is WAY too narrow. so squashed. It needs to be more like the second pic in the first post here (however, I'd leave the post date below the username, like the first pic)

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Jessica. wrote:+1

The width of the category column (to the right of the topics column) is way too wide on a 3.1 board in general (like my own test board). The last post column is not wide enough - it is WAY too narrow. so squashed. It needs to be more like the second pic in the first post here (however, I'd leave the post date below the username, like the first pic)
I agree. I fought for them to not change the column widths when they did... I liked the layout in 3.0. But I lost that fight, and they went ahead and made the right columns super thin and the main column super wide.
Has an irascible disposition.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

actually i would keep the three lines and opt for a wider column but as the post suggests the entire thing needs reworked. I would change the order of content as well I mean to say something like this. This provides a cleaner look and is more straight forward semantically and it can be componentized to matched the notifications and pms sections as well to consolidate code.

you can ignore the avatar for prosilver this is a screenshot from a theme im working on
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 6.50.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 6.50.16 AM.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 25247 times
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

VSE+ wrote: I fought for them to not change the column widths when they did... I liked the layout in 3.0. But I lost that fight
I see, didn't realise it had already been discussed. So it's a dead in the water idea :mrgreen:
Master_Cylinder wrote:What if the username is long?
The idea was to have the area widened.
5hocK wrote:If the Last post area was widened.....

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

5hocK wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:What if the username is long?
The idea was to have the area widened.
My point was that with longer usernames than "admin" the area would have to be even wider than your example. I'm against it. I'd rather have the topic title and description area bigger instead of the last post area which is less important...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

Of course it would have to be wider, bit silly limiting everyone to 5 letter usernames :mrgreen: it was just an example image (hence the 'eg') - All moot now anyway.