First post on top on the topic.

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Darkness_demoN

First post on top on the topic.

Post by Darkness_demoN »

I use this feature in some of free forums. It is good ( for me ) and i want to see it in option in the ne version. :) Also it will be good to use that option in specific forums :)
One idea where can be use: You make a event ( party, concert, show, etc.. ) and you add poster and info in the first post. Or may be info post where you write some information.
Last edited by Darkness_demoN on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pony99CA

Re: First post on top.

Post by Pony99CA »

Your requirement is not very clear. Unless you change the topic sorting order, the first post is at the top of the topic (at least on page 1).

I presume what you really want is for the first post in a topic to always be displayed at the top of each page in that topic. If that's correct, what behavior do you expect to see in the following cases:

1. Will there be any formatting difference for the first post (different background color, separation from other posts, etc.)?
2. If so, will that also apply to the first page of the topic? Will you see two instances of the first post?
3. What happens if somebody changes the default topic sort order (especially on the first page of the resorted topic)?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

There is a simple MOD for 3.0 which does this. It is very useful on some forums, but I dont think it would be widely used.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

I think it is better off as an extension.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Jessica. wrote:I think it is better off as an extension.
+1 Extension...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Kamahl19 wrote:There is a simple MOD for 3.0 which does this. It is very useful on some forums, but I dont think it would be widely used.
I thought that there was, too, but I must not be searching for the proper terms, because I couldn't find it.

Also, I don't think that this should be an ACP option; make it a UCP display option so that users can decide whether they want the first post at the top of every page or not. I would suggest having a Display first post on all pages check box under the Display topic order direction setting on the Edit display options section of the Board preferences tab.

Unless there's a large performance penality for allowing this, there's no need to restrict it to certain forums.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I think if this was implemented, it should be more of a per-topic setting, particularly going with the use-cases presented in the OP (i.e. an event or informational topic). Then again, I'm sure someone might want to have it for all topics. With that in mind, I think this should be left for extension authors to implement so that it can be done multiple ways and administrators can choose the implementation they prefer.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

+1
Pony99CA wrote:I thought that there was, too, but I must not be searching for the proper terms, because I couldn't find it.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... very_page/

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:I think if this was implemented, it should be more of a per-topic setting, particularly going with the use-cases presented in the OP (i.e. an event or informational topic). Then again, I'm sure someone might want to have it for all topics. With that in mind, I think this should be left for extension authors to implement so that it can be done multiple ways and administrators can choose the implementation they prefer.
The problem with a per-topic setting is that the various topic-specific settings (Display posts from previous: All posts Sort by Author) are at the bottom of the topic. While that's not so bad if you're on the first page and about to go to the next page, if you come in on the second page or later, you'd have to go to the bottom of the page, change the option, then go back to the top of the page to see the first post again.

So we'll either need a default in the UCP to allow this or we'll need to move (or copy, like pagination controls) those post display options to the top of the topic.
Vinny wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I thought that there was, too, but I must not be searching for the proper terms, because I couldn't find it.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... very_page/
Thanks for the link, Vinny. That's an OLD MOD, and seems to require the person posting (or editing) the first post to set that option. IMHO, the reader should decide whether they want to see the first post or not, not the topic starter (or some moderator editing the post).

Steve

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Pony99CA wrote:I presume what you really want is for the first post in a topic to always be displayed at the top of each page in that topic.
Yes that is the idea :)
Pony99CA wrote:1. Will there be any formatting difference for the first post (different background color, separation from other posts, etc.)?
Amm i think only separation may be 1 <br> tag or max2.
Pony99CA wrote:2. If so, will that also apply to the first page of the topic? Will you see two instances of the first post?
No. That separation will be seen in page 2 and above
Pony99CA wrote:3. What happens if somebody changes the default topic sort order (especially on the first page of the resorted topic)?
If someone change first post it will be change in evry other page.
Do you wana give you a forum link ( topic ) with that function to see what i mean ?
Kamahl19 wrote:There is a simple MOD for 3.0 which does this. It is very useful on some forums, but I dont think it would be widely used.
We talk here for a 3.1.x . Why do you even mention 3.0.x? I will use it and i think many more people will :)
May be, but who will make it ? There is no team who read what users want for addons and make that addons wich users want...