Update process for extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Update process for extensions

Post by keith10456 »

EXreaction wrote:We should probably have some sort of guidelines for the safest way to update an extension.

I believe this is going to be:
  1. Disable previous version of extension
  2. Delete old extension files
  3. Upload new extension files
  4. Disable the board
  5. Enable the extension (If board enabled, automatically disable, then re-enable when complete)
  6. Enable the board
Does this sound correct to everyone or might some opportunity for errors exist?
naderman wrote:After some more discussion we are back to what nathan proposed in the first post :)
What happens if for whatever reason the update fails between step 2 and step 3? If for some reason the admin can't proceed with the update, would he then have to re-upload the files from the old version?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If something fails between 2 and 3, they can just try those steps again. The board will still continue to work without any errors.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Proposal:
2013-12-27_14_53_43.png
(48.04 KiB) Downloaded 1068 times
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Can we hide those with javascript and use links/buttons that say "Extension Update Instructions" and "Extension Removal Instructions" to toggle hiding/showing it? Besides that, it looks fine to me.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Edit: Nevermind.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If the instructions are not shown unless the user clicks it, the user probably will never read it

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Can the font be shrunk down a size?

Or come up with a new "infobox" to wrap it in, similar to the "succesbox" and "errorbox", but not with centered text, and a neutral background color.
Has an irascible disposition.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

We have an info-box, but using that would take away the special character of it.
Making admins always ignore it.

I would just use it as is and see what the feedback of everyday/unexperienced/new admins is.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

My experience with it, and this is probably because I'm used to the extensions page as I have been working in it since March, is that I don't like how the actual meaningful content of the page - the extensions list - is pushed down, almost below the fold.

If anything, I would consider putting all that blurbage down below the extensions list. Because the extension list/interface is the most important content on that page, not directions for newbies about installing and updating.

Having the text below the ext list is also good because, newbies won't have any extensions yet, so it'll still be front and center for them. But somebody with several installed extensions (like me), won't be bothered by it when it is down the page. But having it up top means my extensions list and management is less accessible, now I have to scroll down the page to see and do stuff...yuck!
Has an irascible disposition.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

That actually sounds suitable. Also matches the order of the BBCode page.