Posts from foe list is being shown

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Posts from foe list is being shown

Post by keith10456 »

nickvergessen wrote:... Adding additional user options for stuff like this will only clutter the UCP
Agreed.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Disabling css is hardcore? I am sorry but if a feature like this doesn't work with css and javascript turned off then it is broken and it needs to be fixed.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Spending hours of our time developing for the 0.00001% who disable CSS is not what we'll ever do. If someone wants phpBB to work without CSS, they can feel free to spend the hours themselves and submit a patch.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

@Danielx64

Why do you have CSS turned off? Unless you have a reason for it, then you have no right to complain about it. First tell us the reason for not having CSS turned on and then we can discuss it.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:Spending hours of our time developing for the 0.00001% who disable CSS is not what we'll ever do. If someone wants phpBB to work without CSS, they can feel free to spend the hours themselves and submit a patch.
While I don't have a problem with that, it's not just about CSS, right? Having JavaScript disabled would still prevent people from reading Foe posts if I understand this correctly.

If I do, I thought that phpBB wouldn't reduce function for people who have JavaScript turned off, and this seems to reduce function. Maybe you could put a NOSCRIPT tag in there (if that's still supported; it supposedly wasn't supported in XHTML, but I don't know about HTML 5) with a link to display the Foe post that does a page reload.
brunoais wrote:Why do you have CSS turned off? Unless you have a reason for it, then you have no right to complain about it. First tell us the reason for not having CSS turned on and then we can discuss it.
He did tell you the reason -- "I got javascript and css turned off as it kills it (slow and can lock it up)."

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Pony99CA wrote:While I don't have a problem with that, it's not just about CSS, right? Having JavaScript disabled would still prevent people from reading Foe posts if I understand this correctly.
No, the feature works the same way when JS is disabled as it does in 3.0 (doing a page reload). Hiding the content using CSS allows the post to be displayed without having to send an unnecessary AJAX request to the server.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

prototech wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:While I don't have a problem with that, it's not just about CSS, right? Having JavaScript disabled would still prevent people from reading Foe posts if I understand this correctly.
No, the feature works the same way when JS is disabled as it does in 3.0 (doing a page reload). Hiding the content using CSS allows the post to be displayed without having to send an unnecessary AJAX request to the server.
While that may be the case (I have not tested it), it still doesn't solve the css issue. Also what about people use use plain text browsers?
brunoais wrote:@Danielx64

Why do you have CSS turned off? Unless you have a reason for it, then you have no right to complain about it. First tell us the reason for not having CSS turned on and then we can discuss it.
Like Steve said I already told you, I have css and javascript turned off as it slows my phone down and at times lock it up and restart itself. Surely I'm not the only one who has those features disabled right? What about those who use text based browsers that doesn't even support features like css and javascript?

And Steve also make a good point about reduced functionality, this is whats going on here and while I don't expect everything to work 100% without javascript and css, I feel that phpBB is going backward on this one thing.

Yes it is cool that you don't need to reload the page, and I do love it when I'm on a desktop, but when I'm on my phone, it's a different story.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Danielx64 wrote:While that may be the case (I have not tested it)
It is like this.
Danielx64 wrote:And Steve also make a good point about reduced functionality, this is whats going on here and while I don't expect everything to work 100% without javascript and css, I feel that phpBB is going backward on this one thing.
It works 100% the same with JS disabled. And as said previously we will not invest hours in fixing disabled CSS. I think thats out of scope.
There are tones more people that still use IE6, but we will not fix anything additional for them anymore.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM