[RFC] Mass HTML email option in ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Mass HTML email option in ACP

Post by Oyabun1 »

My main concern about HTML in emails is that there doesn't seem to be a universal standard for handling it. Different email clients handle it differently, so not all users will see the the email consistently. But then again, that is probably true, to an extent, for plain text emails as well.

Enabling the Admins the option of using HTML emails should be available. Allowing users to choose whether they receive plain text emails would also be an advantage, but is probably not essential, since users that are concerned about it can set their email client appropriately.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Yeah true... There won't be consistency similar to webpages. I guess it really depends on how the HTML email is designed. For simple designs the consistency shouldn't matter much but for more complicated HTML layout, it can be distorted if not designed right. So it does depend on how the admin designs their HTML email layout. Now-a-days some of them sends responsive HTML email too that adapts to the device which can help but then again the display still depends on how the email client shows it.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Yes, different E-mail clients may handle it differently, but that's true of browsers, too. Not all browsers display the same page identically, either.

If a user doesn't like how an HTML E-mail looks, he can switch to plain text (especially if both forms are included in the E-mail).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.