No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Here's another one that *I* think should be a part of the core and there is no one mod that fills the need.

Basically, it allows the admin to set a minimum required post limit before users/groups can post external links.

There is an abandoned (should be marked as such) mod called Disallow links before x posts but it doesn't actually *stop* the member from posting the link, it just breaks the bbcode/magic url conversion so it posts it in plain text and it doesn't have per user/group settings.

There's another mod called Authorized for URLs that actually stops the user/group from submitting the post but it lacks the definable X number of posts setting (and the author doesn't seem to want to add it) so the only way to make THAT one work right is to ALSO use the Auto Groups mod which would be unnecessary if it had the X number of posts option.

If added to the core, an admin could set NRU (for example) to "no links for you" and set registered users to "no links for you until X posts" so that most spammers won't stick around long enough to get link access, while ALWAYS allowing (here's yer link) the administrator and moderator groups to post links no matter how many posts they have.

Simple and effective anti-spam for 90% of the boards. Of course, admins wouldn't have to use the settings if they want spam. ;)

Discuss
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Danielx64

Re: [RFC] No Link For You! (anti-spam)

Post by Danielx64 »

There are better ways of dealing with this - the newly registered user group and having to approve 3 or so posts. Also making it hard for spammers to join. In all -10 from me.

Master_Cylinder

*Daniel wrote:There are better ways of dealing with this - the newly registered user group and having to approve 3 or so posts. Also making it hard for spammers to join. In all -10 from me.
That works for some, not all. We've had more than one that realized that the first few posts were moderated and posted a dozen "me too" "good job" "thanks for the info" posts and then started spamming.

Why do you think that one anti-spam measure is enough?
These kids today...

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
*Daniel wrote:There are better ways of dealing with this - the newly registered user group and having to approve 3 or so posts. Also making it hard for spammers to join. In all -10 from me.
That works for some, not all. We've had more than one that realized that the first few posts were moderated and posted a dozen "me too" "good job" "thanks for the info" posts and then started spamming.

Why do you think that one anti-spam measure is enough?
Also I should point out that most (if not all) is done by bots not real people.

Master_Cylinder

I don't consider spammers people ;) but...it's OK if they're "people?"

Again, why do you insist that 1 insufficient method is enough?
These kids today...

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't consider spammers people ;) but...it's OK if they're "people?"

Well there is several options one is changing a setting or 2 so that users in the newly registered group will need to answer a question before posting. I have not done that is I dont need to but that a way of making it harder.

Master_Cylinder

*Daniel wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't consider spammers people ;) but...it's OK if they're "people?"

Well there is several options one is changing a setting or 2 so that users in the newly registered group will need to answer a question before posting. I have not done that is I dont need to but that a way of making it harder.
The NRU group is the only built in post-registration anti-spam option and busy boards can't have the moderators wasting their time moderating the 1st 20+ posts. We should be using a multi-pronged approach. RBLs to prevent the known spammers from registering, the NRU group for the first 2 or 3 posts to catch the unknown bots and then delaying the ability to post links to discourage even more.

Captcha, which bots have broken, and Q&A, which can be programmed to answer if they don't change often just isn't enough.

Seriously, if the NRU group was enough, why are there so many anti-spam MODs that it needs it's own section? It's not enough and anyone that runs even semi-busy boards should know that...

I'll never understand people that are anti-anti-spam... :roll:
These kids today...

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

Maybe i have a compromise for this: a new permission "can use links" - for Details have a look on my screenshot
+1 for this as permission

Since the integration of Q&A and my solution to fill in questions completeley wrong written and only be readable for native speakers i dont have bot-problems any more. BUT i have problems with payed humans giving me 6+ posts (often irritating and nonsence) before placing a post with link. They register and post in a timeslot of 2 - 4 weeks.
can-post-links.jpg
(102.94 KiB) Downloaded 2585 times

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Well who stupid enough to approve those nonsense posts?

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

insult =! argument