Rename "purge" to "uninstall", differentiate between "install" and "enable"

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
imkingdavid

Rename "purge" to "uninstall", differentiate between "install" and "enable"

Post by imkingdavid »

Currently, on the extensions list page, there are three options available for extensions:
  • enable - this can be done if an extension's migrations have not yet been run, or if was disabled after the migrations were run; it causes functionality to start working
  • disable - this can be done if an extension's migrations have been run and the extension is not already disabled; it causes functionality to stop working
  • purge - this can be done if the extension's migrations have been run, regardless of whether it is enabled/disabled; it causes functionality to stop working and removes all data/schema changes performed by the migrations during the first enable step
nickvergessen recently opened a pull request to slightly change the terminology used in this process, but there is some disagreement on the necessity of it, so we're looking for some more opinions.

Here's the pull request: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/1845
Here are the options available after the changes have been made:
  • install - this is essentially the same as the first time an extension is "enabled"; it runs the migrations to perform data and schema changes
  • enable - this does not change, but it is only shown after the extension has been installed and when it is disabled.
  • disable - this does not change
  • uninstall - this is the "purge" functionality, just renamed to be a little more clear
So what do you think? Is it more clear to differentiate between install/enable or should we leave it as is? I think renaming "purge" to "uninstall" is a good idea either way.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Re: Rename "purge" to "uninstall", differentiate between "install" and "enable"

Post by naderman »

I think that two actions doing the same thing should be called the same thing, hence I decided to only have "enable" and no separate "install" process.

I also explicitly decided to use "purge" rather than "uninstall" because "uninstall" is ambiguous as to whether it will delete generated data from the database or not, while purge very clearly states that data will be purged. Further uninstall would suggest that files actually get deleted, but they are not. They remain where they are, so purge is really the more correct explanation of this action.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

The idea for the terminology actually came from apt: http://askubuntu.com/questions/231562/w ... get-remove

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

naderman wrote:I think that two actions doing the same thing should be called the same thing, hence I decided to only have "enable" and no separate "install" process.
People will go crazy in order to find an install option.
naderman wrote:I also explicitly decided to use "purge" rather than "uninstall" because "uninstall" is ambiguous as to whether it will delete generated data from the database or not, while purge very clearly states that data will be purged. Further uninstall would suggest that files actually get deleted, but they are not. They remain where they are, so purge is really the more correct explanation of this action.
We use uninstall in UMIL currently aswell, no one ever had a problem. Also the option states in the description that extension files are retained.
Purge sounds like "purge cache" and no one will think that it does any harm, while in fact it deletes all data.

My experience with users as a support team member and a mod author are, that install and uninstall are things people look for. Not purge and enable.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

We had a discussion on IRC (view full discussion) and came to the following conclusions:
  • We will keep the current "enable" terminology without differentiating between install and enable.
  • We will keep the current "disable" terminology.
  • We will rename "purge" to "Delete Data", and this option will only be available after the extension has been disabled.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Enable and install are not the same thing. IMO they should be separate...

If one sees "install" they understand that they don't have "it" and need to add/upload "it" to their site. However, if one sees "enable" they understand that they already have "it" but it's just not active.

There's a fundamental difference between the two if you're an admin.

In reference to "purge" and "uninstall", uninstall" is a more common term so I would go with that one since one of the goals of 3.1 is to make things simpler and easier... Furthermore, it's more explanatory to the action thar's being performed.

* Edit - I accidentally wrote "delete" in my post instead of "uninstall"... Now corrected.
Last edited by keith10456 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

imkingdavid wrote:We had a discussion on IRC (view full discussion) and came to the following conclusions:
  • We will keep the current "enable" terminology without differentiating between install and enable.
  • We will keep the current "disable" terminology.
  • We will rename "purge" to "Delete Data", and this option will only be available after the extension has been disabled.
I agree with nickvergesen proposition. Enable and disable may be a more correct terminology but they are less known. Also, I don't understand how the purge/unistall/delete data option works. The data gets deleted but the files of the extension not? What do I need to do to delete the files? I think it should be a simple uninstall, deleting the data and files at the same time, without going through the disable step first. Anyway, if the description states that files are retained, I don't see a problem calling it "uninstall", but I really don't see the need for 3 steps for one action ("get this damn extension away from me").
<naderman> but to a user it should just be one click on "make this damn thing work"
<naderman> aka enable
The aka is install, for me (and probably for almost everybody).

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I think install makes more sense as well. After all you don't install an anti-virus and THEN enable it, same with many other software I've ever installed that had auto-startup options. Some would give the option of auto-starting or not during the installation though.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

There is no installation at all. After you upload files you can enable and disable the extension. We will not introduce the concept of an installation process simply because some people are used to it from Windows applications.

aleha

Post by aleha »

I don't use windows so +1 to naderman.