[RFC] Mass HTML email option in ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Mess

Re: [RFC] Mass HTML email option in ACP

Post by Mess »

Jebus just drop it...

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Mess wrote:Jebus just drop it...
He asked, I replied. Get over it....
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I know I shouldn't bother with people who fail to understand that html email is a security issue, some people refuse to read links or understand simple concepts.
You're missing the point. Any HTML is a security issue -- thus the whole Web is a security issue. Should we shut that down?
You're missing the point, I've already posted links that show that html mail is a bad idea and some people want to ignore that. I don't.
No, I admitted that HTML E-mail can have security issues over plain text E-mail -- just like any HTML sources (including Web pages and phpBB forums) can have security issues that Usenet didn't have. Should phpBB be replaced by Usenet or Gopher?

Now try addressing my argument that no spammers or hackers will use phpBB HTML E-mail because they already have easier ways to do the same things. Or try defending your laughable suggestion to use RTF or PDF attachments whose readers tend to riddled with security flaws.
Master_Cylinder wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:P.S. Wasn't Master Cylinder evil? ;)
No, M_C was a fictional cartoon character and, for me, it's just a screen name. :roll:
Maybe you chose the name because you related to the character (or maybe you work in a brake shop). Many people choose their names for a reason other than "it sounds cool". Regardless, way to miss the humor. :roll:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

EXreaction wrote:Sending mass HTML emails could only be done after our mail handler supports HTML, which our current mail system does not. It could with some ugly code changes, but I think we'll probably not want to do that and rather just switch to Swift Mailer.
That's fair enough. Also in the past when I was sending mass HTML email, I was getting error in queue.php that I reported to Oleg. Not sure if that was caused due to the abd mod, or fixed with the new version or maybe something that may be fixed when switching to new mail system. Either eays, moving to a new mail handler than using a custom one makes sense and can also cut on the additional work for developers. Ref on the error: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2138206

Once HTML is possible, it has a lot of potential. We can even use it for board notification emails too where we can have the text version the way it is now along with a nicely formatted HTML version too. Sometimes, some users in my board doesn't read the text emails properly when skimming through it. An example is the new password request. Some users still email me saying the new password doesn't work because they missed out on reading the section in the email where it says they need to activate it by clicking that link first. So in HTML emails, these important sections can be nicely highlighted so hasty users can notice it. Another common issues people face sometimes is unclickable links. They email me saying they can't click the link from their mobile and I tell them to copy and paste the link in their browser window. Like this HTML board notifications will be useful too and boards can also personalize it with their logo if needed. Facebook uses this HTML email too for notifications. Great to see we will be heading towards a good option in the future. :D

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Moving to a different mailer will likely solve a lot of issues, including that one you mentioned. Libraries, such as Swift, are much better and more thoroughly designed than the simple classes that have been built for phpBB in the past and have far many more users to test those specific items to ensure they are more stable and robust. Swift is used for very large mailers, so I wouldn't expect to have any sort of issue with performance or queue size as you ran into.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

So is it in 3.1 or not? I'm lost :(

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

It wont be in 3.1 unless somebody implements it. Swift would be cool.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

This probably would not go into 3.1 in any case, I really don't think we'll do this before we switch to a better mail system, which is not going to happen in 3.1.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Edited for brevity...
Pony99CA wrote: I admitted that HTML E-mail can have security issues over plain text E-mail

Now try addressing my argument that no spammers or hackers will use phpBB HTML E-mail because they already have easier ways to do the same things. Or try defending your laughable suggestion to use RTF or PDF attachments whose readers tend to riddled with security flaws.

Regardless, way to miss the humor. :roll:
That's my point, it's not secure and others keep trying to claim it is. Either way, it appears that the devs are going to ignore the security and the fact that newsletters aren't really phpBB centric so this debate is over.

You can't say that NO malicious admins will use that feature. I say some will...if they can. I didn't suggest using attachemnts, the article I quoted that was saying html email is bad did. Confused still?? :roll:

Is that what passes for humor in your world? :roll:
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

This discussion about security has more than run its course, consider this a warning to anyone interested in continuing to discuss it here.