[RFC] Automatic move banned members for the banned group

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
victor114

[RFC] Automatic move banned members for the banned group

Post by victor114 »

Intro
The suggestion is as follows:
When a member is banned, it is automatically moved to the group of "Banned Users", and when is unbanned or ban expires, this back to the group "Registered Users".
Automatically moves users into a special group when they are banned. This allows you to visually indicate that a user has been banned through the use of group attributes, such as a custom rank image. Users will be removed from the group when they are manually unbanned or when their temporary ban has ended.

Idea Topic

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/idea.php?id=244

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Automatic move banned members for the banned group

Post by brunoais »

victor114 wrote: When a member is banned, it is automatically moved to the group of "Banned Users", and when is unbanned or ban expires, this back to the group "Registered Users".
I'd do:
Back to the group he was before.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Remember that every user is part of Registered Users (except Guests and Bots, who don't register), so there's no moving one "back to" Registered Users.

Banned Users should be like the Newly Registered Users group -- you would generally give people in it Never permissions to prevent them from doing things that Registered Users could do. If a ban expires, they just drop out of the Banned Users group and have the same permissions that they did before. There's no need to move them back into any groups that way.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Ok, so it's just add the user to "banned users" (not move) when the user is banned and then remove that user form the banned group when he is unbanned.
I'm ok with that, then.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Since I've rendered this already:

I created a new phpbb_users.old_primary_group column which gets updated just before the new primary group "Banned users" is assigned. Once we unban users which then removes them from the banned group the value from that column is used to set the group from the past as default again (since there is no guarantee it was "Registered users").

However, this implies that groups the banned user is in (i.e. delete the "Banned users" group) and his group memberships (i.e. remove him from "VIP users" which might have been his previous default group) are not touched as long as he's banned. Or in other words: managing users in groups and group management must honour the new DB column aswell and act accordingly.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I'm not a programmer so this might be wrong but...

Couldn't you add an else/if so if the old_primary_group is no longer there it defaults to registered users? That way if "vip users" is deleted or renamed while he's banned it just shoves him back to "registered users."
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I'm not a programmer so this might be wrong but...

Couldn't you add an else/if so if the old_primary_group is no longer there it defaults to registered users? That way if "vip users" is deleted or renamed while he's banned it just shoves him back to "registered users."
Remember that people can be members of multiple groups. The way that I suggsted implementing things won't impact their assigned groups at all, so there's nothing to try to restore later. It would also be immune to editing group permissions or even deleting groups.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Master_Cylinder

I was just replying to amigojack's post that goes about it in a different way.

I suppose that adding somebody to a "banned user" group that has "never" permissions wouldn't require the default group to be changed. How about an option to redirect banned users to either a banned.html page or a hidden banned user post/forum? Maybe even different redirects for different banned reasons? spam vs warez vs other rule violations, etc... ;)
These kids today...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Master_Cylinder wrote:How about an option to redirect banned users to either a banned.html page or a hidden banned user post/forum? Maybe even different redirects for different banned reasons? spam vs warez vs other rule violations, etc... ;)
If you're banned today, you get redirected or shown a banned message. You also wouldn't want that if the Banned Users group didn't actually prevent them from doing certain things (like reading PMs and the forums, for example).

As for a "hidden" banned users forum, why? So they can do stupid stuff there? ;)

Simiarly for the redirection for ban reasons. There's no fixed list of ban reasons (like there is for Report/denial reasons), so you'd either need to create such a list or you'd need to enter a URL when somebody was banned.

However, the point of a Banned Users group, I think, is to allow a more granular form of banning than just preventing people from accessing the board entirely. For example, as alluded to above, you might have the Banned Users group unable to post to the forums or send PMs, but you might still allow them to read those things. The only people that you'd really want to redirect to other pages were those that were completely banned, but then you'd need both the current banning system and the Banned Users group to be basically separate items, I think.

Steve

Master_Cylinder

A hidden banned user forum could still be read only and only visible to the banned group...and admin/moderators of course. ;)

Could a definable redirect list just detect if it matched a banned reason and then redirect as configured and do the default if there was no match?
redirect "spam" = spamban.html (no forum access but a page explaining that spammers are losers.)
redirect "name calling" = redirect viewtopic.php?f=007 (or whatever post shows the rules.)
redirect "any other reason an admin wanted = someplace
If spam then redirect to spamban.html else default

or whatever real code might look like? :D
These kids today...