When to expect major changes in phpbb?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
soomster

When to expect major changes in phpbb?

Post by soomster »

I've been using phpbb since 2002 now, first phpbb2 and phpbb3 since 2007.
Now it's almost year since last "minor" update, infact all updates have been minor last six years.
When can we exspect some major update in phpbb?
There has been only one major update last 11 years and that was phpbb3.
I would be more than happy to pay for good update.

tbackoff

Re: When to expect major changes in phpbb?

Post by tbackoff »

phpBB 3.1 is currently in development (you did realize that's what this board is aimed at right now, right?). We can't give definitive time tables, but the goal is to get it done as quickly as possible (not just winging it).

soomster

Post by soomster »

t_backoff wrote:phpBB 3.1 is currently in development (you did realize that's what this board is aimed at right now, right?). We can't give definitive time tables, but the goal is to get it done as quickly as possible (not just winging it).
Thanks for the answer, hope to see 3.1 in this year ;)

Ger

Post by Ger »

You won't. You'll see a BETA at best.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Ger wrote:You won't. You'll see a BETA at best.
Please don't post "facts" that you have no clue of

Ger

Post by Ger »

It's not a fact. It's a prediction.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Arty wrote:
Ger wrote:You won't. You'll see a BETA at best.
Please don't post "facts" that you have no clue of
you can't hold the stick at both ends: if phpbb team refuses to provide any forecast/timetable, inevitably other people will post predictions.
and more to the point: his prediction of not seeing 3.1 release this year is not a "fact", it's a fact.
it's just not physically possible for phpbb 3.1 to be released this year: it has to go through alpha (probably more than single "alpha" release), beta (ditto), and several RCs before 3.1 can be released.

formally speaking, the team can decide to forego some of those steps (the only one that can _realistically_ be skipped is "alpha"), but it makes no difference, practically: you can skip "alpha", but you can't skip the step of making the package "beta ready", which boils down to the same thing.

seeing that it's mid July 2013, and there are about 25 weeks left in 2013, there is just not enough time for 3.1 to get out.

personally, i would not put money on beta release this year, but on the other hand, if the team will begin to move aggressively in the direction of a release, it *is* theoretically even possible to see an RC before EOY.
so, as predictions go, i do not believe we'll see RC in 2013, and i'm highly skeptical we'll even see beta, and as to "release", one can say with absolute certainty it won't happen during 2013: there is just not enough time left in the year, and too many things need to happen before it can be "released".

Frug

Post by Frug »

code reader wrote: it's just not physically possible for phpbb 3.1 to be released this year
Sure it is. It's just not likely. I'm moving my expectations to mid 2014.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Frug wrote:
code reader wrote: it's just not physically possible for phpbb 3.1 to be released this year
when dealing with real life, we call events below certain probability "physically impossible".
when you flip a coin, you attach 50% probability for it to be "head", and 50% probability for "tail.
theoretically speaking, there is a third option, with > 0 probability: the coin can land on its edge and stay standing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_flipp ... in_fiction

in real life, we tend to treat these kind of events as "physically impossible".
the probability of 3.1 being released in 2013 may be higher than that of a coin landing on its edge, but not by _that much_, and i think i'm justified in calling it "not physically possible".

peace.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

code reader wrote:
Frug wrote:
when dealing with real life, we call events below certain probability "physically impossible".
Who is this "we"? To me, "physically impossible" means just that -- not possible to do physically. Maybe it's "practically impossible", though.
code reader wrote:when you flip a coin, you attach 50% probability for it to be "head", and 50% probability for "tail.
theoretically speaking, there is a third option, with > 0 probability: the coin can land on its edge and stay standing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_flipp ... in_fiction
Actually, depending on your location, there's a fourth possibility -- the coin won't land at all. In space, that's almost a given, but theoretically it could happen even on a small body if the toss velocity exceeded the escape velocity of the body. :lol:

Oh, and that article that you linked to never used the term "physically impossible". ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.