What is the future of phpBB????

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
RMcGirr83

Re: What is the future of phpBB????

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Simple question about composer here. Why is this done at all?
My personal take on it is because naderman is heavily involved with composer.

http://getcomposer.org/
Authors: Nils Adermann, Jordi Boggiano and many community contributions
First name in the list as a matter of fact.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Composer works very well to manage dependencies, it makes keeping the required libraries we use updated very easy.

Frug

Post by Frug »

RMcGirr83 wrote:My personal take on it is because naderman is heavily involved with composer.
Interesting (and props to him) but you misunderstood my question. Composer is popular among newer frameworks and I understand why it's used. My question was about why the lead devs don't run composer on their own machines and then push the result of using it to github?
Or are you saying that Naderman has the ulterior motive of getting others to have to use composers to push it on devs? Because I kinda doubt that.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

If you don't want to run composer, you can grab a nightly build from the Continuous Integration section of https://area51.phpbb.com/ (3.0.x, 3.1.x).

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We don't really want to include vendor files in the develop branch because:
1. It adds an extra 10MB of files to our repository, making things slower
2. Pull requests become significantly more messy if the files in vendor are changed (if a new requirement is added or vendor libraries are updated, thousands or tens of thousands of lines of code may be changed, obscuring the important things).

Vendor files are available by grabbing a nightly build (you can just copy them to your checkout of develop) and they will be included on every release. The files rarely change, so you should not have to update them often if you're following develop.

Ger

Post by Ger »

All this is understandable, but why isn't anything of this listed in the Get Involved page?
All it says is:
Contribute code
  • Contribute code in the form of patches to assist the developers in the development process.
  • Requirements: Be a reasonably-experienced developer or designer willing to license code under the GPL.
  • How: Attach a patch or link to a GitHub branch to a ticket created in the bug tracker or an RFC on Area51.
Even links to the right packages are scattered among numerous posts here on Area51 and Github. No willing soul can find this. Nothing is mentioned about knowing how to work command line to get composer, no single line or link to something about push/pull/whatever requests...

As said before: a reasonably-experienced developer or designer has to spend an entire afternoon digging through phpBB.com forums, Area51, the Wiki, Github and even Google before he can start contributing. Hey, I dunno, but maybe that's the reason there aren't so many non-team contributers?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Ger wrote:As said before: a reasonably-experienced developer or designer has to spend an entire afternoon digging through phpBB.com forums, Area51, the Wiki, Github and even Google before he can start contributing. Hey, I dunno, but maybe that's the reason there aren't so many non-team contributers?
I could not agree more.

Frug

Post by Frug »

Noxwizard wrote:If you don't want to run composer, you can grab a nightly build from the Continuous Integration section of https://area51.phpbb.com/ (3.0.x, 3.1.x).
Oh, thanks. I had no idea this was around and available.

At least I'm not the only person confused about where to find stuff. I looked through the 3.1 status thread and wherever else I thought to look through. It's probably posted somewhere obvious that I should see... But then there are other places where it isn't posted.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Ger wrote:All this is understandable, but why isn't anything of this listed in the Get Involved page?
All it says is:
Contribute code
  • Contribute code in the form of patches to assist the developers in the development process.
  • Requirements: Be a reasonably-experienced developer or designer willing to license code under the GPL.
  • How: Attach a patch or link to a GitHub branch to a ticket created in the bug tracker or an RFC on Area51.
Even links to the right packages are scattered among numerous posts here on Area51 and Github. No willing soul can find this. Nothing is mentioned about knowing how to work command line to get composer, no single line or link to something about push/pull/whatever requests...

As said before: a reasonably-experienced developer or designer has to spend an entire afternoon digging through phpBB.com forums, Area51, the Wiki, Github and even Google before he can start contributing. Hey, I dunno, but maybe that's the reason there aren't so many non-team contributers?
Okay im currently on it, updated to the following so far:
Contribute code
  • Contribute code in the form of pull requests to assist the developers in the development process.
  • Requirements:
    • Be a reasonably-experienced developer or designer willing to license code under the GPL.
    • Basic knowledge about git and github (required to get the latest development version).
  • How:
    • Fork the phpBB3 Repository on Github into your Github Account.
    • Create a new branch based on the latest <em>develop</em> / <em>develop-olympus</em> branch (depending on the Issue's Fix-Version), named <em>ticket/ID</em>. For more information on the Github Repository see: https://wiki.phpbb.com/Git#phpBB3.
    • Make your changes, push your branch to your github account and send us a Pull Request via Github.
Things that I read here, are: explaining how to setup the dependencies. Anything more that requires special mentioning, because we want to keep the entry as short as possible...
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Ger

Post by Ger »

Thanks, this is already much better. Just those three links makes life easier.

Some explanation about composer and dependencies would be nice. Simply copying the composer section of https://wiki.phpbb.com/PhpBB3.1#Composer would be sufficient I think.
Of course the entry on the Get involved page can be kept short and simple, but getting all the info linked to (with short explanations) in one central section of the phpBB site makes it much easier to understand how to contribute.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.