[RFC] WYSIWYG editor

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
randomessence

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG editor

Post by randomessence »

+ MArkdown
- WYSIWYG editor

I like the flexibility of bbcode and it is quite useful, but forums no longer dominate the landscape and it is becoming un portable as the rest of Internet moves on with better tools and practices. I don't want to lose BBcode either though since I cannot quite see an alternative.

So what I would like is to have both, as and when I need, since I don't always need either. This plugin made me think: Dokuwiki markdown extra

How about including markdown and the ability for phpbb3 to process it, if it is included in wrappers. So this way no one loses out and we get to import markdown? You can figure out what kind of editors to include or not later.

<markdown>
### Some title ###
Then we can have *all* the `markdown` formatted text we **need**
</markdown>

The back to bbcode. That would work well and cover most general needs.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

This topic is about the editor on the interface, not the perser.
If you want to propose a parser, create a topic about adding a Markdown parser to phpBB instead.

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

randomessence wrote:+ MArkdown
- WYSIWYG editor

I like the flexibility of bbcode and it is quite useful, but forums no longer dominate the landscape and it is becoming un portable as the rest of Internet moves on with better tools and practices. I don't want to lose BBcode either though since I cannot quite see an alternative.

So what I would like is to have both, as and when I need, since I don't always need either. This plugin made me think: Dokuwiki markdown extra

How about including markdown and the ability for phpbb3 to process it, if it is included in wrappers. So this way no one loses out and we get to import markdown? You can figure out what kind of editors to include or not later.

<markdown>
### Some title ###
Then we can have *all* the `markdown` formatted text we **need**
</markdown>

The back to bbcode. That would work well and cover most general needs.
+1

Perfect, my choice.

This One here , if i understand you right,
is realized with [url=http://www.4seven.de/forum/6test/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28]jQPreview[/url] in its new version (unpublished).

Demo (username: tester / password: tester)

Normal BBCode-Mode

One click on jQPreview Tab and all is as in a wysiwyg...