phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
aleha

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by aleha »

Are there any thoughts to release 3.1-a1 after the release of 3.0.12, or these two events are disjoint?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

aleha wrote:Are there any thoughts to release 3.1-a1 after the release of 3.0.12, or these two events are disjoint?
The releases are independent of each other.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

aleha

Post by aleha »

There is something else I want to ask for some time now.

Major Linux distributions such as Fedora, OpenSuSe, Arch are replacing mysql with mariadb. A lot of tutorials for doing so, are also available for other major distributions such as Debian. Of course the installation base of MySQL is huge but I suspect that in time all major distributions will follow with such a replace.

Is there any plan of supporting (or replacing MySQL) MariaDB in 3.x ?
I had to ask about this because it may a good change to convert the MySQL db of a 3.0.x board to MariaDB before upgrading to 3.1.

Unless phpBB doesn't use any fancy MySQL features, there won't be a problem, but you have to ask the devs for such a matter. :D

PS: An article about compatibility can be found here.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

From the sounds of that article, MariaDB should work fine and you can probably even use the phpBB MySQL driver as it is to connect to a MariaDB database without issues.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Would be nice if their would be official support for MariaDB in some future version of phpBB, but I guess that should be an RFC rather than posting this in the info&status topic.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, please open a RFC if you'd like to discuss MariaDB support in further detail.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

aleha wrote: Is there any plan of supporting (or replacing MySQL) MariaDB in 3.x ?
I had to ask about this because it may a good change to convert the MySQL db of a 3.0.x board to MariaDB before upgrading to 3.1.
Please install and run phpBB against MariaDB and report any bugs on the tracker.

You can also run the test suite against mariadb.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Per viewtopic.php?f=81&t=44195 phpbb 3.1 is now in feature freeze.

Raimon
Former Team Member

Re: Progress by RFC

Post by Raimon »

Oleg wrote:Rename MSNM to WLM RFC Ticket
Are you serious about this? WML is replaced by Skype so it is really not a good way to add old "dropped" things on 3.1
The problem with this is that 3.1 feels old for users when it contains "old" not supported options like this.

Ger

Post by Ger »

WLM is still available in China, so keeping it is justifiable. (I wouldn't miss it though)
Also check https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=43601
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.