[RFC] Anti-spam features

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
EXreaction

[RFC] Anti-spam features

Post by EXreaction »

It seems to be the time to start thinking of adding further anti-spam helpers as the CAPTCHA alone is not enough with the newer methods spammers use.
  • An easy method of allowing administrators or moderators to perform a set of actions on an account at one time, such as:
    • Ban the user
    • Move the user to a certain group
    • Delete (or soft delete) the user's posts
    • Clear the user's PM outbox
    • Delete the user's profile information (avatar, signature, etc)
  • Can modify profile fields permission option to specify that new users cannot modify things such as their signature, avatar, etc before the set amount of posts
  • Ability to "watch" a user. You can put a user on a watched users list where any action performed such as editing their profile, adding/editing posts, or sending PMs, was marked in a log where a moderator or administrator can watch for spammers trying to sneak in spam (especially done by editing posts after they are submitted).

demon326

Re: [RFC] Anti-spam features

Post by demon326 »

Sounds like your Anti-Spam ACP mod, to bad it is not a part of the core, it helpt me allot with bad users and spammers...

so vote +1 ;)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Some of it is included in my anti-spam acp modification, yes. :)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

EXreaction wrote:It seems to be the time to start thinking of adding further anti-spam helpers as the CAPTCHA alone is not enough with the newer methods spammers use.
  • Ability to "watch" a user. You can put a user on a watched users list where any action performed such as editing their profile, adding/editing posts, or sending PMs, was marked in a log where a moderator or administrator can watch for spammers trying to sneak in spam (especially done by editing posts after they are submitted).
Definitely in favor of this one :D I often get a suspect new member and have to manually watch his/her actions. It's such a time-consuming pain :x

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I know IPB has something called a Spam Monitor too to prevent spam, I'm not really sure how it works I only see it advertised, ive never used it, but I think it's something like a blacklist (like stopforumspam.com?). Maybe phpBB could implement something like that, it would query a third party, so not everyone who runs a board would want to do that, so of course, you can disable it.
-Jonah

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

I bring this topic back from the cellar. I think this mod would be best for Spam Protection Advanced Block MOD. Spam protection should start already when registering
Greeting Stephan :-)

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

That mod is gigantically too large IMHO.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

RMcGirr83 wrote:That mod is gigantically too large IMHO.
This

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

For spam protection, it should not matter how elaborate the additional data insertion has.
Greeting Stephan :-)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

wintstar wrote:For spam protection, it should not matter how elaborate the additional data insertion has.
Yes it should matter. If the mechanism by which the SPAM protection happens is so convoluted that it hurts the board then a different method would need to be used. I'm sure we could pull certain "concepts" from that MOD but just dropping the entire thing into core? Not really a good option.